Thursday, February 24, 2011

Romper Stomper




He stomped space with a drunken toe, suddenly tired from the taste of the melancholy found at the bottom of a bottle.

“No need to worry,” he slurred at the contents, as he swished and swirled them around, before slurping them down. Apparently, he hadn’t had his fill of the same bland taste from the same bland existence of nine-to-five followed by a six-pack in front of the TV every night. Everything he consumed had the same consistency as a cloudy day, with a sharp aftertaste that made him want to die.

He watched the news while smiling sarcastically as some soon-to-be-forgotten celebrity bragged about the things he wished he’d done. But he’d learned to accept the rectangles he’d drawn around himself, because he was smart enough to know that life wasn’t about what we choose, but what we accept.

Everything he had accepted was out of desperation. Certainly that’s how he ended up married to the grey-faced specter who sat across the room in flickering shadows hovering. Few meaningful words had ever passed between their petrified and passionless tongues. He’d called an old girlfriend in search of new flavors for his senses to savor, but their intercourse tasted like the telephone, and their conversation was perfumed in plastic-coated pleasantries.

Sex had become redundant. Even lusty kisses between strangers in strange places were no longer filled with myriad sweet sensations that pulverized him into sweet submission. Joy awaited at the bottom of the bottle amid the essence of his own decaying distress.

He looked at his wife and she glanced through him. There was nothing to say, not even “goodnight,” as he stumbled to the refrigerator for another brew.




37 comments:

  1. This write describes on par what alcoholism is like. it does sap the joy out of everything. first you are drinking for joy, then you are drinking for normalcy and just plain trying to get through the day.

    this is what I see the character going through.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a cheery tale - haha! I love the ending, especially how the wife looks through him. This story sums up so many people's hopeless lives. ps. when I saw the title I thought the link might have something to do with the skinhead movie - have you seen it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Lionel and Gabrielle. That's what I was trying to capture, Lionel. No idea why. I do need to write a happier story again sometime soon.

    Nope, haven't seen the movie, Gabrielle, but I've heard of it. Russell Crowe, love him, even if he is bad-tempered, etc. He's a great actor nonetheless.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I read hopelessness into it, but not alcoholism. Does Lionel know more than I do about the genesis of this puppy? To me alcoholism is the sickness, the deep urge, whereas this reads as a habit of malaise.

    ReplyDelete
  5. John, you're right and Lionel's right, I guess. I see it as two halves of the same coin. One thing feeds the other. As always thank you for your thought-provoking comments, John. Your comments always get me thinking more about my work.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sharp, sharp, sharp, per usual Rachel. That first line so easily pulled me in and I felt that melancholy througout, which was perfectly summed up in his wife looking through him. Fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy stories so rarely pierce to the heart of our human experience. This one does, relentlessly, if uncomfortably. As I've seen often before in your work, your poetic sensibility informs this whole piece, giving it depth and meaning and resonance. So many perfect, sharp expressions here! Another miniature masterpiece, Rachel. So well done.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Shucks - can't hear your reading while I'm at work... but will return tonight to give it an ear. Hey, if you're drinking that much every night, you do have a problem.. and the joy will leech out of your life. Too bad about the lusty kisses, though. My personal favourite item on this well-written list!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This story is where Desperation and Pain meet. Like you said 'at the bottom of a bottle.' So well done.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you Deanna, Mike and Cathy for your comments. This story actually comes from another poem. I guess this is some new experiment of mine, but I'm having fun with it. The poem wasn't even about an alcoholic, I added that part in when I rewrote the poem into a story.

    hehehe Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you Maria, we must have been commenting at the same time. Yes, alcoholism and desperation form a symbiotic relationship. One feeds the other.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The gray, dead feel to the whole environment comes through perfectly. A life being wasted, one day at a time.

    Very sharply written.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Deep Rachel, the bottom of a bottle holds many things, mostly not good. The perspective of the drinker will always override.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you Tony and Steve. I've known quite a few people like this and it's always sad to see. But you can't save people from themselves, no matter how much you love them or how hard you try.

    ReplyDelete
  15. You have created such an acute observation of such a life. My favourite line was "but their intercourse tasted like the telephone."
    Adam B @revhappiness

    ReplyDelete
  16. My favorite line: "life wasn’t about what we choose, but what we accept." I've felt that way many times.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Tony put it too well for me to add anything else. Great story, Rachel!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Adam B told you my favorite line.
    I listened to you read it and enjoyed the pathos in the story and in your delivery.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I saw it as hopelessness, as well. He's going through the motions of living but everything is flat, emotionless, meaningless. I suppose addiction can cause that feeling as well.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thank you Adam, FAR, Mari, Peg and Vandamir. I always love it when people tell their me favorite lines. Usually those are the lines I've worked especially hard on or ones that are special to me too. I guess the hopelessness vs alcoholism debate continues. Cool Food for thought is always a good thing.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Sharply written piece perfectly capturing the emptiness of a hollow life.

    welcome to Spoken Sunday! so glad you could enter and share your incredible words

    mine can be heard here.. http://audioboo.fm/boos/289200-mea-maxima-culpa

    ReplyDelete
  22. Like John, I read this as two lives wrapped in hopelessness, and did not see the connection to alcoholism until reading the comments. Makes sense on that front too. But it makes me wonder, did the hopelessness give birth to the alcoholism or the other way around?

    Enjoyed your reading of it. I've often said your prose is very poetic, and the oral presentation really accentuates that aspect in several places.
    ~jon

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oh, yea, meant to mention - the picture is a perfect fit for the story.
    ~jon

    ReplyDelete
  24. You used such wonderfully descriptive and poetic language to describe someone so hopelessly lost in the mundane. Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Thank you Annie, Jon and Ganymeder. I'm finally all caught up with the readings and listenings. What a sumptuous feast of creativity.

    Thank you to all my readers for your comments and your own wonderful work.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I love the final paragraph - the idea that she is a grey-faced specter but yet she also looks through him. They've become ghosts to each other, and to the world around him. Awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  27. What a loaded bit. Such a realistic way to show the intricacies of human nature and relationships. I felt his sense of loss; his numbness.

    ReplyDelete
  28. That was a killer first sentence.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Thank you so much Deidra! I am so honored to receive this award.

    ReplyDelete
  30. You have a wonderful blog!! Found you from the A-Z Challenge, it sounds like it’s going to be so much fun and I can’t wait to get started!! I’m now following your blog on GFC and I hope you have a chance to check out my blog and maybe follow me back!!
    Monica
    http://oldermommystillyummy.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  31. A very powerful shortie. There's so much hopelessness and longing in the piece. Many can relate. Thank you for sharing it. Just found your blog. Nice to meet you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  32. This makes me really want to shake things up and do things a little bit differently! Thanks, great piece.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Wow! Beautiful blog and great post. Love your writing. You should move your followers list up though, so it's not so hard to find there at the bottom. =)

    ReplyDelete
  34. Hello! waves from the A-Z challenge. I really like your blog set up- the picture is beautiful. I'm a new follower and I can't wait to get to know you better

    ReplyDelete
  35. What a terribly sad existence! Great writing.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Sad, but wonderfully captured and represented.

    Still hopping through the A to Z blogs, as I didn't make it through the first time.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...