Thursday, February 17, 2011

Evolution


Temple monkeys sprawl in the sun, unaware of anything but the growling of bellies and the chirping of their broods. A quick jolt of fear by something stirring nearby dissipates as the search for carnal needs takes hold. They do not know that right now, abused kids around the world cry in corners and bleed, models starve in Paris fashion houses to fit into the latest throwaway trends, while in America, teenage girls are either lusting or loathing Edward Cullen while popping pimples and dreaming. Instead, they eat fallen fruit on forest floors in the warmth of ancient temple climbs.

From forest floors to boardrooms and windswept prairie plains, we have not grasped this elemental truth; we are not plastic. We may occasionally be slightly psychotically metallic; unfeeling things, without the ability to realize that there is something better, than what we so easily accept.

Lorena does not smile as crowds of ideas fight for supremacy in her consciousness. In a corner of the street she walks down every day, an old man hums drunkenly. She thinks of joining him, but doesn’t recognize his tune. It is not something she recognizes from the radio. She would ask him, but there is no point. She knows she will not take the time to learn. Instead, she will come up with excuses to forget him and his music. Instead, she will lose herself in the shop windows she passes, without realizing that the painted smiles of mannequins are the only smiles she’s received today.

We are sometimes reptilian, crawling on our bellies without pride or knowledge of legs, following the crowd that follows the crowd before it. Our feet might have lead us to thoughts, but we walked away too soon for them to take hold.

Temple monkeys do not care, as they stand guard over eternity. They live, breathe, birth and die on the same spot, beside the same temple that generations of their kind have occupied since its construction. That is the only crowd they follow. While we rush to go nowhere, blindly accepting half lived lives as reality or fate.

Lorena tries not to care that she hasn’t been invited to the office party. She tells herself that it was an oversight as she listens to the laughter of her coworkers echoing down the corridor. It is fine. It is good, she tells herself. She will show them all someday. She will be something more than she is now, though she has no idea what that could be. She thinks all this, while leafing through a copy of a photography magazine detailing the lives of primitives and primates, to make herself feel superior.


29 comments:

  1. Rachel, stunning. What a web you weaved, keeping Lorena in the wings until the last moment. Great analogy. Thank you for the read.

    Denise:)

    #fridayflash Meet me at Union Station

    ReplyDelete
  2. "we have not grasped this elemental truth; we are not plastic. We may occasionally be slightly psychotically metallic"

    What a crushing yet true idea!

    Your description of the monkeys life made me feel warm inside, while Lorena's made my stomach twitch. Excellent wrapping up at the end. I think you've outdone yourself on this one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Denise and Mari. The first paragraph was written for a contest by an agent. Though it didn't win, I always liked it and this week I added the rest to flesh out the rest of the story.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a complex and insightful web woven with such a visual language. Once again, sis, you serve a giant portion of literature in a wee package. Wondrous!

    William

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh look! It's my anonymous brother Bill. lol

    Thank you :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, this is very insightful. The first section does semm to stand alone in a way - like a flash/flash fiction - very deep and moving. A very twisty, turning tale - thought provoking in a good way.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you Gabrielle. Yeah it was tough trying to piece it together. I may go back in with my hip boots on and see what I come up with. Hope all is well in OZ.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Feels more in the vintage Blackbirdsong vein, with the trippy linguistics, sprawling monkeys and we being something reptilian. You have obvious talent for this headspace.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks John. Well you know me and wordplay. Plus I like monkeys and reptiles.

    ReplyDelete
  10. like how thematic this writing is, it circles and circles back to our primordial, baser natures and suggests that is what we are in essence to begin with. then the intermittent paragraphs of Lorena maybe suggest something human, or trying to be human, but vainglory sweeps that notion away.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you Lionel. I think sometimes we think we're so much higher than other forms of life and in truth, we have much we can learn from observing how they go through life. True, their lives are governed by instinct, but they also don't waste time worrying about the things that we humans often do. Thank you for the thought-provoking comment, Lionel. Can't remember the last time I've seen "vainglory" in a sentence. That's a great word.

    ReplyDelete
  12. "Our feet might have lead us to thoughts, but we walked away too soon for them to take hold." Love, love, love the depth of that line Rachel. Indeed, the whole story. And your voice is perfect for this, deep itself. Fabulous work!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you Deanna. I voice gravitates from the deep voice I use for readings to sounding like a 14 year old on speed when I'm being less formal.

    Glad you liked that line. Actually this part of the story was inspired by another poem I did some years ago. I need to stop borrowing from my own work or maybe not. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Excellent story. The descriptions and the way the ideas were all weaved together made this a joy to read.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Beautifully crafted, and full of insightful comparison.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank you Eric and Steve. To hear something I wrote is a joy to read and beautifully crafted, just really makes my day. Thank you both.

    ReplyDelete
  17. A 14-year-old on speed? Ha! That cracked me up!
    And no, Do Not stop borrowing from your own work, it's too good not to!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love this. I love the contrast between the monkeys just going about their business and just being, well, monkeys, while Lorena, the supposedly more evolved being, never takes advantage of just being herself. It was also superb to hear you read it, too!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thank you Icy. I loved hearing your story last week and I'm hoping you'll do a recording of your latest. That would be a real treat.

    hehehe Deanna, right now I'm a little hoarse, so I sound more like Bea Arthur on crack.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hello again! There's an award waiting for you back at Randomities. :) http://bit.ly/bunch_awards

    ReplyDelete
  21. Powerful stuff. All that evolution -- where has it gotten us really? Love how you weave the almost scientific prose around the loneliness of Lorena. Peace...

    ReplyDelete
  22. This is brilliant! Lots of people seem to have had their favorite bit, this was mine:

    "We are sometimes reptilian, crawling on our bellies without pride or knowledge of legs, following the crowd that follows the crowd before it. Our feet might have lead us to thoughts, but we walked away too soon for them to take hold."

    Damn that's powerful writing!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thank you Linda and Maria. Your comments make me want to go back and look at this piece again. That section you like Maria, that gave me so much trouble and it went through so many different edits. Glad to know you liked it. Whew!

    ReplyDelete
  24. "...without realizing that the painted smiles of mannequins are the only smiles she’s received today"

    I'll pick the above out for highlighting, although "psychotically metallic" deserves its own mention.

    The highlighted line struck home for me - seeing the world around us without actually seeing ourselves in relation to it.

    There's a tender sadness running through this piece - and really powerful images. The ending beautifully knits the strands together.

    Gorgeous writing.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Thank you Kevin. That line spoke to me (obviously) because as someone who used to live and work in a city, where people were largely indifferent, mannequin smiles were sometimes the only smiles I saw. Now I live in a small town and it's completely different. I go to the corner store and it's "Hi Rachel, here to buy your mom this week's copy of 'The Enquirer?'"

    ReplyDelete
  26. The mannequins' painted smiles were the most poignant part of this for me as well. It made me feel terribly sad for her.
    Beautiful writing.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Glad I found this, Rachel. There's little I can say that hasn't been said. "Psychotically metallic" is pure genius, of course. The image of us humans running to nowhere, while the monkeys work hard to stay put ... yup. This is a great piece.

    ReplyDelete
  28. I get the feeling Lorena is going to have a nervous break down one of these days. Interesting character. Would like to know more about her and why no one likes her. Read like part diary and part story.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...