Thursday, May 31, 2012

Boots




Pulling off her boots and kicking each one to polar points across the floor, she sunk back on the couch and began to devour a bowl of potato chips. There was nothing worth her attention on the television, but between the chips and the remote, she disappeared into the blankness of repetitive activity until sleep overtook her.

She awoke some hours later and stumbled into her bedroom, and sleeved herself between sheets. Hers were not pleasant dreams, but rainbow-twisted journeys to unknown places where she jumped from one figure, one existence, one realm to another, without rest.

There were no great revelations, no truths detailed in dream speak, only the sallow sheen of ancient juxtapositions of memory; old loves, fears and wisps of forgotten conversations, commingled into a waltz of swirling metaphors. Nonexistent languages echoed from vested tongues until morning light broke through, leaving nothing of the nearly targeted bull’s eye of surprise.

She had almost grasped it. It had been that close. But now, it was time to wake up and pull her boots back on and face the day and the many delusions which harried her.



24 comments:

  1. you know. This reminds me how much I have truly missed reading you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you girl. I need to catch up with your work as well.

      Delete
  2. I have dreams like that too...that make me feel euphoric and then I wake up and I am thinking... oh, reality again. that feeling sucks. totally get it. nice write.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lionel. I love writing about dreams, as you know. It never gets boring to explore that other world.

      Delete
  3. The imagery here is fantastic; the adjectives in the third paragraph bring me inside the character's mind and vision. I know this id Flash, but I want more!!!! From a flashier, if you will, look, there were a couple of times where repeated articles (the) were used, and I believe the second one in each case (first and last graph) could be eliminated. I know that is only two words, but that would make it tighter. Again, love the piece, bravo for dusting off the blog and posting again, and thank you for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jeff. I wasn't sure about the "thes" but I'll edit them out. Tighter writing is almost always better. Thank you for the help.

      Delete
  4. I love reading your work! Your words just flow so nicely, makes me want to keep reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Vicki, that is absolutely the best compliment ever. You're such a great friend.

      Delete
  5. She sounds like a tortured soul -- no solace by day or night.

    Good to see you back.
    ~jon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jon, it's good to be back. Well tortured souls are easier to write then happy ones, at least for me. :)

      Delete
  6. Once again, brilliant. Sis, not only do you have a very distinctive written voice, but I could actually hear you reading this story along with me.

    I agree with Jeff about the "the's" and Lionel... I have these dreams, too.

    My favorite image is of the boots themselves. The reality of everyday life. Heavy, clumsy, cumbersome. And also how they are sent to polar opposites of her room. Like the differences between her reality and her dream.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Once again, bro, you were the one who inspired me to write in the first place, so thank you from the bottom of my heart and a little bit of my knee.

      OK, you and Jeff have convinced me. The "the's" are history.

      Delete
  7. "She had almost grasped it..."

    Or, in your case, she had. Beautiful poetic language, something I remember of your prior Friday Flashes.

    "... she disappeared into the blankness of repetitive activity until sleep overtook her.

    She awoke some hours later and stumbled into her bedroom, and sleeved herself between sheets."

    Picture perfect descriptions, the image immediate and alive in the reader's mind.

    Excellent work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kevin, and thank you for highlighting your favorite lines for me. It's been a while, but it's great to be back. Thank you for always supporting me.

      Delete
    2. My pleasure, Rachel. Of that, I assure you.

      Delete
  8. I love the literary, lyrical language of this. It starts with the first sentence and never releases its grip on the reader. Welcome back

    marc nash

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the great comment Mark. It's great to be back.

      Delete
  9. Rachel! I've missed your stories so much, and am thrilled to have the privelege to read this one, which is stunning as always.
    Welcome back!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Deanna, but I so don't deserve such high praise. I'm looking forward to reading what your work again as well.

      Delete
  10. The dreams may not be pleasant, but they sound like far more fun than the mundane awake time

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wonderfully and elegantly descriptive language, a beautiful flow to be carried along by.

    Hiya Rachel, it's lovely to see your eloquent work on these pages again. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Steve, it's great to be back. I'm a bit rusty, but it's fun to be writing again.

      Delete
  12. I'm sorry it's taken me a month to find this, Rachel. Like all of your work, this is at once graceful, bracing and emotionally muscular, a strong drink for the soul. You are so skilled at placing us plop in the center of your dream. Wonderful writing. So glad to see more of your prose.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...