To hear my reading of "Godiva" go to the Readings page.
She echoed these words to herself as she lay dying in want of something more; something exciting like a ride through Coventry. “I cannot pretend to be a box of chocolates. I cannot pretend I am capable of love. Shouldn't you have awakened as well,” she asked looking at the sleeping form beside her.
"Those who dream that they are Cleopatra awaken to find black booted reality stomping upon their crystalline fancies." This would be her explanation for the shattered glass upon the floor. If only the shag carpet was able to hungrily swallow each shard of unhinged mirror like a Bedouin in search of one drop of liquid sustenance. But no, reality is not as kind as dreams.
"Those who dream that they are Cleopatra awaken to find black booted reality stomping upon their crystalline fancies." This would be her explanation for the shattered glass upon the floor. If only the shag carpet was able to hungrily swallow each shard of unhinged mirror like a Bedouin in search of one drop of liquid sustenance. But no, reality is not as kind as dreams.
Her old dreams hung upon her brow like beads of sweat, trickling down where they were happily caught on her tongue. She delighted in their salty-sweet-haziness as she silently cleaned up the floor.
“That is all that remains of who I was in murky hoped for memory,” she thought, remembering the poems she’d written and tossed aside like trash. “My memory and I are long lost friends. She and I may have been writing you on those thrown away scraps, so much like these shards. Would you recognize our hands in spite of the blood? In spite of what time has taken from them?”
She looked at her hands. They were no longer beautiful and smooth as they’d been when he’d wrapped her fingers in platinum and gold sealing her as his own. Even their stones had lost their enticing gleam. Her hands ached under the weight of wifely obligations.
Once her hands ached from writing. She remembered in college, how her pen hummed happily; hungry for words, these children of its unholy union with wanton paper and thought. She believed the day would come when she would write them all; delighting in each syllable and phrase.
Words weren’t dangerous in those days before her husband told her to “hush” whenever she tried to speak. Ideas flowed freely unhindered, and safety hadn’t been their aim. Smoke wasn't the signal of her anger and repression, which she exhaled in explosive bursts.
It had finally come. It had come. The day. This day had come, and now surrender rose on the horizon beckoning her to accept that as the definition of her life. And she smiled in the knowing that this step was not the final one, but the first of many towards oblivion.
Words weren’t dangerous in those days before her husband told her to “hush” whenever she tried to speak. Ideas flowed freely unhindered, and safety hadn’t been their aim. Smoke wasn't the signal of her anger and repression, which she exhaled in explosive bursts.
It had finally come. It had come. The day. This day had come, and now surrender rose on the horizon beckoning her to accept that as the definition of her life. And she smiled in the knowing that this step was not the final one, but the first of many towards oblivion.








There's a lot of poetry in this story. I love this paragraph; ("Her old dreams hung upon her brow like beads of sweat, trickling down where they were happily caught on her tongue. She delighted in their salty-sweet-haziness as she silently cleaned up the floor.") in particular. So evocative.
ReplyDeleteRachel, I am in wonder of how you packed so much of both devestation and hope in such a short space. As usual, your descriptions are tantalizingly profound. Excellent work!
ReplyDeleteThank you Icy and Deanna. Actually this started out as a poem. I just dissected it a bit here and there and then reconstructed it, adding some bits and pieces throughout. I should post the link since it's on this site.
ReplyDeleteI read both the poem and this story. Liked how you transitioned this from poetry to prose. your characters are like lively murals.
ReplyDeleteThank you Lionel. The poem is a actually a found poem that I put together from random words and phrases. I love what you said about my characters being like lively murals. Thank you. :)
ReplyDeleteSome intense language, particularly at the "horizon" at the end. Would be interested to hear you read this one, though since I'm on the road I would have no way to listen...
ReplyDeleteThank you John. I was thinking of recording this one actually. I'll have to remove the other recording since I don't think the player will work with two. No clue. This is all new to me. Glad you liked the story.
ReplyDeleteStrong imagery with great depth.
ReplyDeleteAdam B @revhappiness
The killer line for me was "Her hands ached under the weight of wifely obligations." Potent stuff.
ReplyDelete"...reality is not as kind as dreams..."
ReplyDeleteSo painfully true.
Though, to pick out this phrase among so many others clamoring for attention is unfair. It is to ask "Which is my favorite of all these children?"
There is no good answer since they all deserve to be singled out.
There's an ache that runs through this entire piece - all the way to "oblivion" at the end.
I relish your use of language, Rachel.
Really well done.
Thank you Adam. I seem to do a lot of unhappy housewife stories. No wonder I'm single.
ReplyDeleteTony, thank you. I struggled with particular line, so it's good to know you liked it.
Kevin, wow and thank you.
To me this reads like part of a journey, with unfulfilled dreams and ambitions, and a sadness for what once was, but is no longer. but it also conveys the feeling of hope for change.
ReplyDeleteI prefer the story to the poem, the extra words give more weight to the reading.
As usual Rachel, Excellent, it reads like dark chocolate tastes.
Thank you Steve. The poem is a bit fragmented. It was an experiment. And now suddenly I want some chocolate.
ReplyDeleteI too would like to hear this one. It feels very melancholic to me. I gather it'd sound much like a poem. And they say there's no such thing as poetic prose... heh
ReplyDeleteOh Rachel. This is just stunning. I bow in gratitude before the genius of your voice.
ReplyDeleteThank you Mike and wow. I've only started doing these recordings, so I'm a bit rusty. I used to do readings every week on the radio, but that was a couple of years ago. It kind of feels good to be doing it again. I guess I missed it.
ReplyDelete