Thursday, November 4, 2010

Towards a Poisoned Canal


A pigeon sits on a lonely stoop watching a traffic of geese fly overhead. This street smart bird that races after busboys who discard perverse amounts of barely touched food in garbage cans and curbs, knows that speed means a meal and waiting is death, as lingering gulls circle overhead. It coos to its lover who sweetly coos back, before she springs and wings towards poisoned canal. Dead fish float in the autumn breeze between hovering ducks and sewage pulp. This was how the day began; a seamless comingling of beautiful ugliness with sparks of sunlight teasing through pollution flame clouds. Hillary thought she’d heard a cricket the night before — between the humming of the air conditioner and the snoring of her husband, but cancelled the thought; dismissing it as fantasy.

Sighing herself up and out of the unpleasant warmth of her bed, she admonished herself for sleeping so late. 

“Well, looky here, Sleeping Beauty has finally awoken,” said her husband Glen.

“I was waiting for Prince Charming, but he didn’t show up. Guess that means I have to settle for you,” she replied, narrowing the space between them until they were close enough to kiss. The moment passed without affection and they continued their morning routines talking endlessly about nothing in particular.

Later, after they’d given each other a perfunctory kiss and walked in separate directions down the same street, Hillary saw a dead pigeon and her mate cooing beside her. The scene stopped her cold, even as other city workers plowed past without cognizance that there was more to life than rushing to the next meeting or catching the next train. Some admonished her for standing there, but she was beyond them; lost in the sight and sound of a truly broken heart.

She heard so many things in that lonely coo, such as “Why,” “Please don’t leave me,” “I want to die” and “I love you.” She couldn’t move; didn’t want to move, it was all too much to absorb until a garbage truck drove by and crushed the dead bird flat. 

The horror of the moment forced her to remember herself and the time, even as she watched the other bird fly away.

I suppose I should congratulate myself for never allowing myself to love someone that much, she thought after finally arriving at work where she spent her day finagling deals that would be forgotten before five.

On the way home, she contemplated taking another route to avoid seeing what was there, but remembering that she and Glen had a function to attend that evening, she took her regular route instead. She tried to avoid it, not wanting to see what she assumed was there, but curiosity forced her to look. By now the bird had been run over so many times that all that remained were some crushed bones, feathers and a single talon reaching out to something that wasn’t there. But Hillary’s focus was elsewhere. She looked around for the other bird; even tried to pick it out of group of birds nearby, but it was gone.
“I knew it! I knew you’d abandon her!” said Hillary forgetting herself as tears welled up in her eyes. “It’s all pointless. This whole existence is pointless. We’re born, we live and we die, and for what? We’ll be extinct with no one left to remember us, and for what?”

By the time she got home, her tears had dried enough to conceal her emotions from Glen, who rushed her in and out of her dressing room to put on just the right dress, so that they could make an appearance at a party neither one of them wanted to attend. Even though time had passed, and she’d washed her face before applying another mask of make-up, Hillary could still feel the salt trails of her tears on her face.

“I want to go home,” she whispered in Glen’s ear.”

“Not yet, babe. You know how the boss likes me to give the hands-on approach to new clients.”

Hours later after they’d returned home feeling beaten down and triumphant, Hillary pushed Glen’s hand away after he tried to syphon some lingering residue of the image she’d created for that evening’s festivities, and fondle her.

“Still waiting for Prince Charming?” he grumbled turning over and away.

She sat in silence through the night, listening for crickets.

*****

On her way home from work the next day, Hillary passed by the spot where the bird had been. Now there was nothing left at all. It was as if everything she had seen and been moved by, hadn’t occurred. Then she heard it, the same sad coo she’d heard before. She circled around trying to see where it perched until as if wanting to make itself known, the bird flew down to the very spot where his mate had been.

*****
“I love you,” Hillary said to Glen during dinner that evening.

“What brought this on?” he asked.

“I just wanted you to know, that’s all,” said Hillary until a long silent lapse imbued the moment with something dark. “Do you love me?”

Glen didn’t reply, he wasn’t the sort to reply to a question like that; which was the excuse she had fed herself on from their first “hello” until now. She changed the subject to something she didn’t care about and smiled as if nothing mattered, while remembering the simplicity of a perfect love lost on a cold city street.

23 comments:

  1. Aggressive pace in these descriptions, from beginning to end, even when you're describing desolation or emptiness. Sharp work, Ms. Blackbirdsong.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Powerful story. Amazing how much more love there can be in other creatures than in human relationships. I wonder if she'll continue to settle for a loveless marriage. I wonder, if she died, if he would show anywhere near the same level of grieving the pigeon showed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh this is really sad, both for the pigeon who has literally lost his mate, and the woman who has romantically lost hers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for the comments John, Eric and Icy. I've seen this scene many times living in the city and thought I'd do something comparing what I'd heard about pigeons mating for life and people who don't always manage to do that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is sad, but a number of animals tend to find one mate and stick with each other for life. I believe as human beings we're meant to do just that very thing, but life throws many ugly curve balls in our faces.

    It sounds as though that Hillary settled for less earl on, and now she's finally facing the sour truth of what she had truly done. Maybe things could be somehow salvaged, but for that to occur it'll take two willing partners. Although it still could happen.

    Meanwhile the pigeon stands out in the cold, cooing for its lost love, and maybe even wishing for a car to come and end its own sorrow. I guess it'd be better to love someone more than ones own self... even if it means losing all control of the 'what ifs' in this life. Besides, nothing is sadder then living and dying all alone.

    Another wonderful piece Rach. Be blessed.

    jkb

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for taking the time to comment and the insights, James.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Rachel, this may be my favorite of yours so far. I'm sure I've said that before but you so consistently improve what's already brilliant I can't help it.

    This is so sad yet uplifting at the same time. Gorgeous description throughout, and it even brought a tear, something rare for me. Bravo!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Bittersweet and powerful. The simplicity of love made difficult by life.

    Wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful yet bleak at the same time. This is a VERY strong piece, I have a tear in my eye.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you for the comments Deanna, Marisa, Sam and Anneke. We actually don't have pigeons where I live now, but I grew up in the city where everyday I'd hear them cooing outside my bedroom window. I kind of miss that.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Painful. Beautiful. Expression dying on a cold hearth. Tragic. You embue your words with such emotion.

    ReplyDelete
  12. And yet another fantastic piece of writing Rachel, there are so many insightful observations in here,

    "so that they could make an appearance at a party neither one of them wanted to attend"

    To quote one of so very many.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Another great story, Rachel, likening human relationships to the animal kingdom. A bitterweet and insightful story.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you Laura, Steve and Alan. I seem to be doing a series of animal themed stories lately.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Poignant passionate and brilliantly executed. A snapshot of real emotion wrapped in a wealth of hope. The pigeon returned renewing her faith in Glen. It remains to be seen if Glen can truly fulfill her dreams.

    ReplyDelete
  16. how very sad.. and makes me so very thankful I have the kind of love I have in my life.. the kind of love like the pigeons... my wife and i can't even stand to be separated one night!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your story pulled me right in Rachel. I wrote in my blog on Monday about including specific, sensory detail in your fiction (and nonfiction) and you do it so very well. Thanks for sharing. You inspire me.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thank you for the comments everyone. Sorry I haven't returned any comments on your yet, but between having computer problems, my mom's health issues and now a flood in the basement, I've been a little busy. I'll make up for it though. I promise.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wonderful story - I got carried right through it. Just the other day I saw a dead duck on the side of the road, out in the country, and it's mate not far off - it wrenched my heart.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thank you Gabrielle. I think it's way too easy to get caught up in our own lives and forget that we are part of a universe that is truly a wondrous things. If more people took the time to realize they'd see that in perspective, their problems really don't amount to much.

    ReplyDelete
  21. This is a great piece that meshes the character and setting into one, and how this approach to writing embraces the philosophy that setting and character are one.

    I thought that the story would have a fine finish if it ended on this note.

    "“Still waiting for Prince Charming?” he grumbled turning over and away.


    She sat in silence through the night, listening for crickets."

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thank you for the comment, Lionel. That's an interesting idea you have there. It definitely gives me something to think about.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...