Friday, July 24, 2009

Missing in Action


His eyes said, "I'm tired of this endless life of endless agitation."

His sign said,"homeless vet will work for food."


His eyes said, "can't you see I'm ashamed
of what my life has come to?"


His sign said, "come on I'm hungry
and I've no where fit to rest.
Give me a job, any job
and a simple pocket of change,
and I will take it
and be satisified with a hot cup of coffee
and a plate of cheap food
and a newspaper to cover my head."


His eyes said, "you owe me for what I've done for you.
I've killed for my flag and my country,
and I did what I was told.
The blood of the enemy splattered me in my face
just like the cold unwelcoming winds of home.
You owe me dammit, you owe me."


His sign said, "I'll take whatever you've got."


His eyes said, "don't look at me.
I'm lower than I thought I would go.
I used to be a golden-haired dreamer,
everyone's dream of tomorrow,
everyone's hometown hero,
every mother's son and every father's puffed-out pride.
I carved up bodies with bullets
and they, the bastards carved mine.
I came home scarred and battered
though no one could see my pain.
Now I'm standing here with this damn sign,
made of cardboard from some discarded box.
I stand here begging for work and food.
I stand here with hell behind me and hell beside me
and hell in front of me,
hoping for anything from anyone who will spare me some change
or some food or both.
But don't look at me,
Don't look at me!
Don't look at me!
I want you to see me and my damn sign,
But don't look at me!
I'm lost and I can't find my way free.
I lost everything in those jungles
and everything when I came home.
I lost the need to dream or wish or hope
in a bottle or a pill or needle somewhere.
I lost the reason to be who I was
and I don't know how to find it."


His sign said, "I'm tired, and I'm ready to die."


His eyes said, "I'd devour you if I could
and pull you down beside me.
You with your car and your happy life.
You with your family and your house and your job.
You with your eyes staring at me and doing nothing.
You who sees my shame and then
turns away disgusted by me.
'Here I am, another homeless guy begging!
Ha ha ha, aren't I something, dirty and filthy and shivering in the cold?
'You'll pass by me like so many others
and not even think twice
about the guy who stood before you just a second ago.
You'll just see "homeless",
but you won't see me,
and you'll drive on back
to your life
and your home
and I'll still be out here with my shame
and my sign,
and my empty belly
and my cold feet,
while you dine or recline
or whatever you do.
Damn you.
Damn you,
Damn you."


His sign said, "please."



No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...