
I wake before dawn
Hunters leave in search of food
Gentle noses touch
It is in these moments when the earth is still
And the children asleep
That I sit
Alone
But not alone
With my thoughts
By warm gleaming light
Mother’s lullaby
Rest my little young ones, rest
I am by your side
There is nothing I would rather do
Beyond this moment and this time
Than this
During the day I work tirelessly
Tidying our lodge
Making sure the pelts hold against the wind
Keeping the fire pit burning
Hanging corn to dry
So that I can make corn soup
Along with whatever game the men provide
In this home of hides
Pine tree bark and buffalo
Nature’s sacrifice
The snow falls silently outside
I can hear the crunch of animal’s making footprints
As they go from tree to tree
Eating bark or whatever they can find
Lonely hooting owl
Hoof beats echo in the night
Howling wolves nearby
I am silent too
As I stir my cooking pot
Where thoughts and food combine
Into humble stew
The succulence will sustain
Me and mine
Until daylight
Brings the men home with their early morning hunt
And the children gentle themselves awake
As I continue to stir
Feeding myself
With dreams I only share in silence
Feeding my family
With the food that I prepare
Feeding all
From my body
That has given life
That sustains
As winter winds blow
Outside and away
From my gentle fire
Sparks of red shadow
Warriors dancing crackle wood
My heart is a drum







No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.