Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Osyei



Hope is not a harmless thing. It can move mountains of trouble, pulverizing them to bits at the moment of its birth. Joyous tears, moist with anticipation, trickle down like sparking reaching fingers, yearning and hungry to replenish the soul. You are the gift hope gave to me. I leap with elation. I yelp like a wolf eagerly calling her comrade. Join me in joyousness until sorrow turns to dust.

Osyei (pronounced ooh-dew-gee-guh-dee in English) is the word for hope in the Cherokee (Tsalagi) language.

4 comments:

  1. This really is so well done, such great writing and that makes for a great read.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Thom. I'm glad you enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Any great thing can harm. Some things, we don't mind harming as much as others. Between you and me, let's see how much fallout we can get from a little hope.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very true John. I think a little hope is a good thing.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...