Thursday, December 23, 2010

Snakeskin



Snakes are cool creatures. They do not betray what they feel. Other animals, you can see their joy or sorrow on their faces or in their body language. Snakes do not have the tenderness of apes that patiently pick flea-after-flea from a comrade to show affection. Snakes have no comrades. They are solitary creatures who move about their worlds with seeming indifference seeking warmth or the coolness of the dark, depending on the needs of body temperature. Mother snakes do not comfort their young and their young slither way without a goodbye or a returning thought to her care. They are indifferent to fear and unaware of their beauty. Snakes do not study their markings or seek ways to improve their design. They are not vain nor do they have a concept of what vanity is. They do not look at nature with admiration. They accept it as it is and use it to survive. Snakes do not shrink back from killing nor do they show fear at the imminence of their own deaths. Their eyes do not narrow or widen as they breathe their last breaths. They are what they have always been since before Eden and onward to eternity.

She didn’t know why she felt the need to display her blood for the world to see. She hadn’t loved him and had only allowed him to touch her to see what it was like. It hurt, but beyond that it was nothing but an experiment.

There was no passion, only the grunting indifference of his pleasure quickly sapped. She thought her crossing from the tiny mesh that separates girls from women, would be momentous, but it wasn’t. When it was over, there was nothing left to say, but “thank you,” as she turned away dismissing him into darkness. It didn’t matter if he cared or if he left or did anything at all. She was asleep before he closed the door.

Before it had just been the two of them, she and her father so far out in the country that they had to generate their own electricity, with no one else save the mailman ever stopping by. Now that she was older, and others had come in hopes of tempting her to take bite-after-bite of forbidden fruit until everything that was joyous suddenly turned foul. She had refused them all until now.

Why him? No reason. He was there. He was interested. He was a means to an end; a cat-killing curiosity. She had killed something too, but it was deeper than a question or a crossroad.

Daddy hadn’t told her the truth. He hadn’t prepared her for the fact that their life wouldn’t last forever. That’s all she wanted. Now he had invited others to their door in hopes of forcing her to grow-up, even as he clung to his “little girl.” She spent more and more time walking through the woods collecting treasures from the forest floor. Her father had taught her the names of all the flora and fauna that gathered and grew on shadow spilt darkened green, but he was dying; something was dying and there was nothing to do but wait and watch.

Now she watched her father crying as he stood in front the bloodstained sheet. Emotion had overtaken him until it bent him forward like a marionette with freshly cut strings. He was not himself. This was not daddy. Daddy never cried and now he looked like he would never completely stop. A puddle of teary snot ooze saturated the place where he stood. He picked up a falling branch and began wildly swinging at the air.

He didn’t see her, but she didn’t care if he did, at least that’s what she told herself as she walked away. Instead, question upon question formed, rose and fell as her father’s odd actions comingled with her own. There were no answers, at least not now. Perhaps they would come later.

She thought about going into the garden to see if any her father’s tomato plants were big enough to squish, but instead released the snake she had caught just the day before and watched it slither away until it was gone.

20 comments:

  1. Once again Rachel, a fascinating slice of poetic prose, the life of snakes explained so very eloquently, and, if I have read this right, compared to the feelings of a young girl, left cold by her own life.

    A very happy Christmas to you Rachel.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rachel, I love the beginning of the setup, and the tone of the piece. The emotional issues were quite clear and you hint at trouble and discord. I want to know more about the relationship.

    Julio

    ReplyDelete
  3. A lot of people just don't know why they do a lot of things. We wander through many forms of violence. Awareness... well, that's its own ignorance.

    (Did you know not all snakes are solitary? Many strains of African mamba are notorious for moving in pairs - if you kill one, you're in high danger of being killed by the other)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very well done. The best of your work always did leave me wanting more, but then, you were never one for neatly-tied endings.

    A joyous solstice season to you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you Steve, Julio, John and Kurt.

    Steve, yes that's the core of the story, I think. I just finished it today, so we'll see what I think it means tomorrow.

    Julio, thank you. I love writing about complicated relationships.

    John, I had never heard that about the African mamba. Perhaps I should change my beginning to, "the perception of snakes..."

    Kurt, it's like old times whenever you read my work. Nope, I hate neatly-tied endings. I'd rather leave people wanting more, than wishing I'd stopped the story earlier.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mesmerising and atmospheric. Not quite sure I completely understand what's happened here, but it's compelling.

    Happy Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  7. "a cat-killing curiosity"

    In that one phrase many things are both hidden and revealed. The tone of this piece was "terrible" - in its true sense. There is a horror lurking in this girl's life that come through. And, most likely, in her father's also.

    Again your gift for poetry in prose shine.

    Really well done.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you Virginia and Kevin.

    Virginia, thank you for the good words.

    Kevin, I had such a hard time with that phrase, so good that you noticed it and liked it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Starkly unemotional and cold blooded, like the snake - a strange beauty.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautifully written. Peotic prose at its finest.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Rachel, this is the perfect prologue for a longer work. Very well told and so...deep. It evokes many different thoughts of relationships.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Catherine, Laurita and Deanna, thank you so much for taking the time to leave those lovely comments on my story.

    Deanna, I hadn't thought about making this a longer story, but that's an interesting idea. I'd have to think about how to develop the characters and story more than I have here.

    ReplyDelete
  13. As others have said, this has a real poetic feel to it. Cold blooded, just like snakes. Good story!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is simply beautiful storytelling, Rachel. I got to the end and wanted there to be more. I love the rhythm of this. Wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you Eric and Maria. I kind of like this character and may revisit her again sometime. After some of the reactions to her, I feel especially inspired.

    ReplyDelete
  16. It's sad to think that some many people out there are just like cold blooded animala. But this indeed a rotten fact. I mean just look at all the wicked chaos that fuels the day to day news. It's more like a body count nowadays!

    Anyways, I think as a people we have such a long ways to go before we're ever good again. In my lifetime I've witnessed so many ugly actions. Such as parents hating their children and likewise the other way 'round. It's awful to think that even a small amount of love could change the outcome so easily, but we'd rather have our moments to ourselves. Sharing next to nothing with anyone else, therefore, becoming just as cold and alone as any eons old beast of the greenary.

    I always love your work Rach, you really get your readers thinking. Have a blessed week.

    jkb

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thank you for the heartfelt comment James.

    ReplyDelete
  18. So many fine, evocative phrases and images, Rachel. 'Poetic prose', yes, but I like to think the deepest and truest expressions of human experience are inevitably and irresistibly, perhaps unavoidably, poetic. When your work shines, it shines so brightly it nearly blinds. An amazing, fine piece of work. If you can extend this kind of voice into a full-blown story (novella? novel?) I, for one, would be first in line to buy your books and sing your praises.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Funny how an intentionally unemotional character can evoke such emotion in the reader, at least this reader. I felt a deep sadness for her in a way, and for her father, both of whom seem to have gotten exactly what they were seeking, but both were dissatisfied at having achieved it.
    ~jon

    ReplyDelete
  20. the greatest strength in this piece is the tone, the attitude of the story. mystery surrounds these characters, and, of course, it is a flash fiction piece so we only get glimpses of them, snapshots.

    another device cleverly used is metaphor. one obviously being the snake, loss of innocence, but also I think there is a literary reference or allusion, although it could be coincidence. the young girl reminded me of Hester Prynne's daughter Pearl from the Scarlet Letter in how she was an indifferent child that liked to explore the wilderness. I caught onto that right away.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...