
He hadn’t meant to belittle her, but it would have been cruel to allow her to believe she had a chance of dancing in the ballet.
“There is no hope for you, I’m afraid.” The words stung even now, as he remembered them and the way her face looked red and swollen as if he’d slapped her. He knew he was foolish to obsess about it, but her face floated like a phantom in the slate-grey sky as he traveled through the outskirts of the city. The road swelled with a human zoo dripping with discord, Twinkie wrappers and bicycle messengers guzzling energy drinks between stops. He feared it would take nothing less than a séance to rid him of the memory of her, them and the world in general.
“So much for sleep tonight.”
Perhaps, he wondered, he could go back to that awful little theater and help her improve so that she could become the bright light he’d been looking for to feature in his company. He knew it wasn’t possible. She wasn’t good enough to stand on the stage besides the men and women he’d carefully selected like perfect porcelain puppets.
Now he sat in his luxury sedan that was built not only by the will of his own particular genius, but also the blood and sweat of generations of dancers and began to wonder what would happen to her now. She’d spent her life taking lessons. She’d told him that while pleading for mercy, a second chance, anything, as he strode away after dramatically putting on his tam. He remembered thinking it was all just grist for the mill and not worthy of his time.
What happens to those who’d built their lives living up to the moment when they’d audition for him with nothing but raw talent and hope only to fall short of achieving their dreams? He’d never considered them until now. Instead, he had hidden himself behind the self-righteousness of indifferent genius and art.
Truth be told, his life could be chronicled in moments like this. He rejected some one-on-one and others in groups of tens, fifties and hundreds. Open calls were always a nightmare. If he could find one or two good dancers, he was lucky. Most were as bad as that nervy young woman had been or worse. Awful lines and non-existent arches without a clue of what it takes to become a dancer.
If enthusiasm was all it took to make it, she would have been a star. Instead, she would probably end up working at a beauty salon amongst a throng of mature sweeties and sluts who all wanted to look like fashion magazine covers.
Perhaps this was why she haunted him and why he’d spent so much of the ride home lost in introspection. With one word, he had destroyed not only her dreams, but any chance of her getting out of that rancid little town. He knew what theater-life meant to small town kids. He’d been one himself once. If he’d told any of the people in his current inner circle that his first job had not been – as he told had them – working as an assistant to a choreographer of note, but instead shoveling cattle cadavers at a processing plant, they would have been theatrically shocked.
Yet in truth, there would be no real emotion from any of them. They didn’t care about him and the feeling was mutual. They only wanted to be “in” with him so that they could feel powerful or popular. When the time came for him to step down from the stage, they would disappear like a bunch of street whores escaping police sirens.
He turned on his car radio and was momentarily shocked to hear ukulele music coming from it, and looked away from the road before him. It happened that quickly. Crash. The leather seat of his car was covered with blood, his blood or the blood of the woman he hit, he did not know. Was it her? That sad creature he’d rejected. No that was impossible. Obviously it was someone else. It couldn’t be her; she was not only miles away from him, but also a lifetime away from him now.
Sirens, hadn’t he just been thinking of sirens, he thought as he heard them coming closer until they came to a screeching halt where he lay. He heard one of the EMTs say the woman was dead, but he’d known that before they’d come. He’d seen her in that last moment before the impact, and then afterwards when he’d struck her and all the life drained from her face.
That’s two lives I’ve destroyed today.
Then a realization struck him as they cut him from his car. No, I’ve destroyed three. No, more than that. I don’t know the number. I don’t know their names. Then through the haze of the ambulance window there they were; all of the nameless faces of the rejected pressing against the glass. She was there too, her face still red and swollen. He was taking them all with him as he slipped from consciousness to unconsciousness to knock on oblivion’s door.







Skillfully written. I found the character irritating, yet I felt sorry for him. A very well crafted story.
ReplyDeleteThank you Laurita. Yeah he is a pain in the butt and good that you found him irritating. I wanted to create a self-righteous and self-involved character so hopefully I got him right. I've known so many like him, it was time to put him on paper.
ReplyDeleteOh he's such a prick. I don't want to say "he had it coming to him" but such airy-fairy navel-gazing really suits him. It really works that you've located this self-centered figure among this lush description. Excellent work.
ReplyDeleteI didn't think he was a 'prick' as Icy said. I thought he sounded genuinely regretful of having to say no to the girl. I love the way you described the accident and aftemath. Had a great ghostly-type feel to it.
ReplyDeleteI observed this character with a mixture of loathing and pity. I think it would be hard to be the person who constantly had to tell people "No". I mean, art is subjective but not every artist is right for every venue. Still, he was full of himself even to the point of giving himself too much credit for the impact he had on the dancers life. I'd like to think she left him, had a beer, griped to her girlfriend and is now happily married and running her own dance academy while he pictures her everywhere and regrets the interaction to his death.
ReplyDeleteThank you G. P., I think you got him. You'd think I'd know, but some characters are more difficult to decipher than others. This one is still too fresh for me to know one way or the other. Hopefully she did go on to have a nice life. It's not like he's God, even though he was kind of in that position as far as his ballet company was concerned.
ReplyDeleteFor years George Ballanchine didn't allow African American dancers in his company because he didn't think they had the sensibility to become dancers. So now we have the Alvin Ailey dance company and many others that very gloriously proved Mr. Ballanchine wrong.
Art definitely is subjective.
Any chance with this was inspired by Black Swan, or am I projecting my interest in that movie? So few stories about ballet interests, let alone dark ones. Naturally you wrote a good one, Rachel.
ReplyDeleteWhat a tool George Ballanchine was.
Nope, I haven't seen "Black Swan" and wasn't thinking of it when I wrote this. But there is definitely a dark side not only to ballet, but to theater life in general. This comes from my own experience auditioning for various companies a long time ago. You do feel like cattle during cattle calls. I think they are a nightmare for everyone involved.
ReplyDeleteI have bucketloads of sympathy for the yound dancer and for the woman he ran down, but for your MC, not a jot. I tried, I really did try not to want to punch him in the mouth, sadly, I failed. An excellent bit of writing IMHO.
ReplyDeleteDeep rich language here, so evocative -- your use of metaphor and simile is spot on, as usual.
ReplyDeleteThis guy is definitely self-centered but in the end, there is no easy way to tell someone they don't make the cut. I wonder what it was about her that finally made him so introspective and regretful? What finally wore though the armor someone in his position must of necessity posses?
I also like that he has no illusions of his own fleeting fame. Once he is no longer relevant all those sycophants will be gone like smoke on the breeze.
Nice piece here, Rachel.
Ballet was well-chosen to illustrate this tale - there was a gut-wrenching moment when I was reminded that years of dedication could come down to one moment of rejection, and then, of course, devastation to a life and a career.
ReplyDeleteIt really did make me wonder what somebody like the protagonist would be like - to do that day in and day out: by the sounds of it, not even he was sure.
I liked the 'look away' quality to the crash. It was quick, but it scanned well.
I wasn't quite sure, why this girl in particular would give him pause for thought (though you do, perhaps, hint that she liked him for his craft, and of course she was enthusiastic).
It all flowed as one cohesive tale and I really liked it.
Thank you for the comments Sam, Jon and Stephen.
ReplyDeleteMaybe I need to add something more about the reason Stephen, then again sometimes someone we meet can move us to feel one way or another and we never know the reason why. Maybe they remind us of someone else or maybe it's because we're ready to face a certain realization and they were somehow a catalyst.
Sam, yeah some people are hard to like. I don't feel that I have to make all of my protagonists likeable. I think sometimes they're more interesting when they're not.
Jon, thank you for everything you do for us.
Rachel, very well written as usual, some darkly poetic, and atmospheric lines in there, the man put me in mind of the Simon Cowell ilk, and the X factor contestants being verbally trodden on by the judges.
ReplyDeleteRachel, as I read others comments, I was thinking what Jon said - what "woke him up" so to speak? He may seem like a jerk, (and obviously does to many), but something gets him, he obviously has a deep history we don't see here. Maybe you'll give us more?
ReplyDeleteWonderful use of language, as always.
Thank you for taking the time to comment on this, Steve and Deanna, I might add something to this once I had a little distance and can look at it with fresh eyes.
ReplyDeleteHarsh. Harsh and empty.
ReplyDeleteThe character, and the character's life. What he really didn't see, possibly not even in the revelation he seemed to have at the end, was that his life and art were as devoid of real emotion as those hangers-on he professed to despise.
You got him on paper, and well. This flowed very well right from the start.
Excellent.
Thank you Kevin. Yes it is harsh. You really have to have a thick skin to make it in any area of the arts.
ReplyDeleteA wonderfully haunting tale Rach.
ReplyDeleteSometimes our awful actions seem to carry on haunting us, and this guy finally saw the power of such ugliness. He lived a life of self and self-want. Never really caring for the lives and lights he snuffed out.
After reading the story I had to wonder if he'd really struck another person or perhaps a tree our animal. Maybe he was trying to drink his rotten thoughts away. But either way he seems to've finally ruined him own life once and for all. Now he'd have to deal with the blackness on the otherside of the darkened door.
jkb
Thank you for the comment James. I see you had a strong reaction to this, but I'm not sure he never really cared. As I said in an earlier comment, because of the position he's in he's kind of forced to put up a wall or else he wouldn't be able to make the types of decisions he's forced to. He's a tough character to explain, I guess. Perhaps I'll revisit him again someday.
ReplyDeleteWell done, and as others have said, dance was the perfect form to illustrate this. So much blood, sweat and tears are poured into the art, only to have it tossed away in an instant. Well done :)
ReplyDeleteHe doesn't seem that bad to me, but I'm glad he copped it in the end - hahaha! People take ballet far too seriously. Nice little tale Rachel. I love the 'Twinkie wrappers and bicycle messengers guzzling energy drinks between stops.'
ReplyDeleteWow, not a likable man. It's hard to feel sorry for him in the end. I found a couple of lines really great:
ReplyDelete"...her face floated like a phantom in the slate-grey sky..." and "She wasn’t good enough to stand on the stage besides the men and women he’d carefully selected like perfect porcelain puppets."
Great job, Rachel.
Rachel, I thought this protagonist was a jerk, yet I did feel a bit of sympathy for him, but not much. My favorite description section is definitely the one about the Twinkie wrappers and bike messengers.
ReplyDeleteWhat you totally nail is the egocentric mind of the artistic director and how abuse can creep into this egoism.
Good story! I have to agree that he wasn't one that it was easy to feel sympathy for.
ReplyDeleteThank you Alan, Julio and Eric. I guess I've been experimenting with unlikeable characters lately. When I was doing my dark stories with psychopaths, etc., they were likeable characters, which I think helped to make them seem more disturbing. Now I'm writing about normal people who aren't likeable or difficult to like. It's been a fun experiment.
ReplyDeleteVery evocative and rich in the imagery and descriptions. I'm wavering between disliking the MC and feel sympathy for him as he realises the impact of his actions.
ReplyDeleteBeautiful
Adam B @revhappiness