Thursday, July 23, 2009

Diaphanous White

Petals fall from her ebony strands, as she stands silhouetted against the moon. “He loves me, he loves me not,” she repeats as she gently picks them up examining each dainty bloom. When she gets to the last one, she says nothing. She does not have to speak. She does not even have to think. She knows the truth. Yet somehow, even this, which should make her the happiest of women, grieves her.


My heart is full and yet I am alone
In darkness I wait for your tenderness
While waiting I am plagued with thoughts of doom
Until you are beside me, I am lost



A cool chill embraces her as a single tear journeys down her cheek. The wind blows the diaphanous material of her white gown, which billows around her, making her resemble the flower that has fallen from her hair. She looks up to the heavens and sings of her heart’s love to the spectral circle of the sky.


With soothing whispers, I shall speak your name
And tender you upon my loving breast
Till morning comes and I fade with the dawn
As I retreat to slumber with the sun



These words that had been unspeakable until just a little while ago now pour out of her in glorious music. She has never known what it was to love anyone before, nor to have them love her in return. She smiles looking at the petals in her palm as if each one were a tiny portrait of her beloved.


“He loves me.”


Then she gentles her face into her palm and tenderly kisses each tiny remembrance. Heady from the perfume of flowers and emotions, which swell inside of her like ocean tides, she weeps.


“And I love him.”


Her voice echoes off the rocks below as she sings her heart sorrow to the sky. The earth stills to listen to her glorious lament. Her music is more wonderful than the ancients of sky, sea, earth and air have ever known and they pour a blessing to her. Suddenly he appears in the shadows; summoned by her singing. All is well for they are together and will be tomorrow night and the night after that.

He caresses her cheek wiping off the errant tear.

They smile and she is finally happy for she knows that she will be with him and he will place a flower in her hair just as he has done before and will always do again.


With flowers white, I’ll decorate your hair
We’ll share our secret love beneath the moon
Until the day awakes, we are as one
But hush, my love, enjoy what we have now


Throughout the ages, he will come just as he has done this night and she will wait for him beneath the ethereal orb of the night, and she will long for him with the same fervor as before while singing her love to the moon.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...