The storm rolled past, rushing the scent of stockyard butchery and the misery of dying swine through the air like Superman chasing a villain. No one harkened to the reverberating howl of frightened animals finally realizing that their long journey from sow’s teat to crowded transport trucks, had come to its end. Everything had been fixed so that they couldn’t flee the agony of being gutted with nothing to veil the pain. There was no iconoclastic army of socialist hogs to save them, and then rewrite the rules of who governed whom. There was only blood, death and a new existence bound by shrink-wrap with the steady drone of music designed to lure shoppers into purchasing what they couldn’t afford.
Maryann stared at the plate of pork ribs before her and smiled. “Best sauce ever,” she told the waitress. “If that recipe doesn’t make you famous, nothing will.”
After paying her bill, she walked down the footpath that took her from the diner back towards the heartbreak of her empty home. Going out had become her way of escaping the ghosts of old arguments and pleadings for love that still echoed from the walls and floorboards. Even though she had felt trapped in her marriage to Derek, she was now caught in the dilemma of mourning its end. She hadn’t felt equal to his feelings from the moment he’d first shared them. Instead, she’s settled for a dollhouse existence of masked feelings and static smiles, until finally, the fear of spending the rest of her life like a frozen pillar of a retired saint, had overtaken her, leaving her thunderstruck and hungry for something else.
The hush of the early evening tide gentled James to sleep, even as the faint echo of a cabaret singer from a nearby bar danced across the ancient timbers of his room. It had been a good day and he had earned his rest. He did not dream about money or fields of wheat, but of a myriad dancing cleavers all chopping off the heads of his more demanding customers at the butcher shop. He woke smiling and ready to face them again like a lion on the prowl.
Penny put on her waitress apron, though both mind and body begged her to go home. It had been a long day at the mill and now she was here serving plates of grease and wilted lettuce to the hungry and cheerless. She had gone outside during one of her allotted breaks to escape the grease pit and the constant needs, burps and complaints of the faceless throng who came and left without retreat. The extra money of her second job beckoned her back inside, even though her feet throbbed with every step. Between orders of prune Danish and shredded pork, came the images from the night before when her children had delighted to the fake-cockney strains of Dick Van Dyke in “Mary Poppins.” Those cherished moments thrust her to the next table, the next order and hopefully a good tip for her efforts.
The sea rushed in, wildly attacking the shore as another herd of swine was transported on another truck on their journey to oblivion.
Maryann turned off the light; finally ready to succumb to the quiet mastery of sleep. Perhaps she would call Derek tomorrow and perhaps not. The past clung to her with needy hands and the future was still too new and uncertain to rely on. James trekked down the early morning streets to the stockyard, past the booths of those he had added to an imaginary blacklist because of their unwillingness to cut him deals, to inspect a shipment of fresh meat. He would butcher the carcasses of hogs, count his money and smile at old women he would later butcher and count one-by-one like sheep before falling to sleep. Penny peeked into the bedroom of her sleeping children, almost too tired to walk the few steps to her bedroom. For some reason the childhood jingle of “Mary, Mary, Quite Contrary” repeated in her mind as she undressed and readied herself for bed. A flash of moonlight lit her room as she stood in front of the mirror. A youthful smile crept across her face as tiny feet journeyed across the carpet to stand beside her. She patted the tousled head of her youngest, and they stood together in silence. All was not right with the world, but it would have to be good enough for now, she thought.
“What are you doing up so late?” she whispered, breaking the silence, “its time for all little girls and boys to be asleep.
“But I’m a little piggie momma. Oink.”
So another day began and ended as the storm rushed in and rushed out.








Captivating story. I was completely sucked in by all the characters, their thoughts, and woes. Well done, haunting story.
ReplyDelete"The storm rolled past, rushing the scent of stockyard butchery and the misery of dying swine through the air like Superman chasing a villain."
ReplyDeleteHave to say that PARTICULAR image never entered my mind before today. But now? Every time I see a contrail in a storm cloud it'll be there.
oh man....
:0)
Thank you for the comments Laurita and Karen. We had a wind storm yesterday. So I blame the weather for this one.
ReplyDeleteThis is yet another powerful and somewhat sad write Rach. Sometimes we allow all of our human miseries to surely bleed us dry. But then what are we left with truly?
ReplyDeleteThese people seem to be stuck in a world of self-care, sorrow and even hate. Really we'd be better off to not make these things our main focus, but those are not very easy things to do. As all of our lives are so overgrown with such rotten branches and bitter roots. Perhaps we should learn to all become master pruners.
Although, Maryann seems to be in search of some sort of betterment. Unlike that of James. His is a mind full of bloody crying chaos. And this will only serve for a lifetime of built up pain and misery abounding.
Awesome job Rach! You are wonderful at creating such moods, the heartfelt, and even distain... as needed of course. Yep, you're crafty.
jkb
I really do love your comments James. You make me see things in my work I wasn't aware were even there. I just write what my mind dictates. btw, I just called the butcher, James, it really wasn't meant to be you.
ReplyDeleteDang it Rachel, I was just about to go make biscuits and gravy, and everyone knows it takes bacon to make good gravy. Now I've got to change the menu. :)
ReplyDeleteThis is superbly written, as usual. That first sentence is thrillingly enticing, followed by nothing less than the same. I just love your imagery.
Like Karen, my favorite was comparing the stench to Superman flying. That's just funny. Thanks for sharing, Rachel.
ReplyDeleteThank you Deanna, though I'm sorry if my story ruined your recipe. We rarely eat pork in my family and that's mainly because both parents grew up on farms where they killed pigs, and apparently that really turned them off the idea of wanting to eat them.
ReplyDeleteNot sure if you've ever been around a processing plant, but the smell really is about that overpowering. There was a soap factory where I live and you could smell them burning down the old carcasses for miles and I'm not exaggerating. So that's the origin of the Superman line.
Thanks for the comment :)
The swine in railroad cars reminds me of the Nazi's packing people into them for similar purposes. The human characters are existing but not truly living, very much like the pigs.
ReplyDeleteI know what you mean about some stenches staying with you. My dad worked for 13 years in a fish meal plant. The smell of rotten fish being cooked permeated our town and my dad's clothing and skin. He still doesn't like to eat fish.
I loved the line "the fear of spending the rest of her life like a frozen pillar of a retired saint" ... A really good story!
ReplyDeleteThank you for the comments Vandamir and Janet. Also, thank you to those who are letting me know what lines you like best. That's really encouraging.
ReplyDeleteLoved how it all intertwined. Great look into their lives. Excellent story!
ReplyDeleteThank you Eric.
ReplyDeleteA great story but man, I wasn't expecting that! My Grandpa was a butcher all his life so we were often surrounded by chunks of one animal or another when I was a kid, but he never said anything about the slaughterhouse. Your opening paragraph will likely stick with me for quite a while.
ReplyDeleteThank you Sam. That opening paragraph was tough to write too.
ReplyDeleteJust admire your writing skills. This was wonderful.
ReplyDeleteThis is one of my favorite lines: "Even though she had felt trapped in her marriage to Derek, she was now caught in the dilemma of mourning its end."
So many people live this way.
Well done, Rachel.
Thank you for the comment Marisa, and thank you for noticing that. I wanted to highlight that in some way every character in this story felt trapped in some way.
ReplyDeleteWhat a difficult form, brilliantly carried out. Weaving the several strands in such a way that they each lift the other and add meaning, while giving us just enough room to keep them straight in our minds. All in a very short story.
ReplyDeleteI've said it before, Rachel. You have a master's touch.
Well my head is officially swelling, thanks to Mike. Really though, thank you for that comment. Not sure I can hope to live up to it, but thank you just the same.
ReplyDeleteRachel, I can't add anything that hasn't already been said. This is a brilliant and deep piece of writing.
ReplyDeleteThank you for taking the time to comment Steve.
ReplyDeleteHaunting and gorgeous. I love the same sentence as Marisa -- struck me as embodying so many people's lives. I love your writing. Peace...
ReplyDeleteThank you for that lovely comment Linda.
ReplyDeleteVery intriguing story. I did wonder at the beginning whether the pigs were really pigs or helpless people off to Nazi death camps, which made the whole thing feel pretty bleak, but the writing is excellent.
ReplyDeleteKari @ The Best Place By The Fire
Have to say I loved this, so many intrigues happening. The little reposte between mother and son at the end gave pause. I too was captivated with the opening image: "The storm rolled past, rushing the scent of stockyard butchery and the misery of dying swine through the air like Superman chasing a villain."
ReplyDeleteGreat story, Rachel.
Flashquake
Thank you for the thoughtful comments, Kari and L'Aussie. That was an interesting take on it, Kari, but I can definitely see how you came to that conclusion.
ReplyDeleteFantastic story Rachel. I absolutely love this line: she’s settled for a dollhouse existence of masked feelings and static smiles, until finally, the fear of spending the rest of her life like a frozen pillar of a retired saint, had overtaken her, leaving her thunderstruck and hungry for something else. Great stuff!
ReplyDeleteThank you for taking the time to comment, Danielle.
ReplyDeleteI really appreciate hearing about the lines people like best. Ironically those are almost always the lines I wasn't sure about when I was writing.
"There was only blood, death and a new existence bound by shrink-wrap with the steady drone of music designed to lure shoppers into purchasing what they couldn’t afford."
ReplyDeletePowerful line here. The title of this story doesn't do the thunder justice laying within.
Thank you Carrie. Good to know that you liked that line. I worked and reworked that particular line a few times.
ReplyDelete"Like superman chasing a villan" - brilliance, pure brilliance. Great story and love your descriptions
ReplyDeleteMaybe next week I'll sneak another superhero into my writing. Glad you liked that line and thank you for the comment.
ReplyDeletegreat use of an extended metaphor, reminds me of Pink Floyd's "Pigs: three different ones." a good case of we are what we eat, a blending of innocence and debauchery found in human nature.
ReplyDeleteThank you for the insights, Lionel. I can always count on you to find deep meaning in things that I wasn't aware of.
ReplyDeleteRachel,
ReplyDeleteThank you for a superb piece. I loved it.