To hear my reading of "The Conversation" go to the Readings page.
Once upon a time, in the land of America, in a place called Brooklyn, two women attempted to have a conversation.
“What a day I had!” said Sylvia, a recent graduate of the ‘Barbizon School for Pretentious Females Over Forty,’ to her companion, Maureen, a manicurist and graduate of the “Billing’s House of Upper-Lip Bleaching.’ “First, as I was perambulating the circumference of my environs, a blitzkrieg of ebony miscreants assaulted me with a glow of amplifiers until my aural cavities, which are much accustomed to more discriminating reverberations, converted themselves into a great void of nothingness.”
“Huh?” said Maureen.
“While I wuz wawkin’ ‘round de block dis mornin’, a bunch of black kids wuz playin’ dere music so loud I couldn’t hear nuthin’!”
“Oh,” said Maureen, while chewing her gum. “Oh my gawd.”
“Yeah,” said Sylvia, “I almost regurgitated my cock-crow victuals all over de place!”
Maureen stopped mid-chew, with her mouth open wide enough to see its’ contents. “Yeah, I hoid of dat happenin’ on de news last night. Good thing dat lady called 9-1-1 or she woulda lost her house.”
Sylvia looked at Maureen, then at the ceiling, which often substituted for God, before continuing her discourse.
“Then this afternoon, because of the idiosyncrasy of my chronometer, I was unpunctual at the conveyance transference locality and was forced to ambulate to the province of my vocation.”
“Huh?” said Maureen.
“My watch wuz slow, so I missed de bus and had to walk to woik.”
“Oh! Oh my gawd. Don’t cha just hate dat?”
“Yeah,” said Sylvia, “if I don’t submerge my pinions in some thermogenic aqua pura, I’m gonna die.”
Maureen raised one perfectly plucked eyebrow, and then slowly let it fall. “Uh yeah,” she said, “didn’t Julia Roberts get an Oscar for playin’ someone who had dat? Gawd, I love her, she’s such a good actress.”
Sylvia became more intimately involved with the ceiling. This time however, it was a nice country lane where happy little bunnies hopped and played over the rotting remains of Maureen. She sighed, contented and refreshed before continuing to speak.
“So after leave-taking the province of my vocation and discerning that it was an unaccountably agreeable day, I determined to promenade to my habitation.”
Maureen swallowed her gum.
“On the way I passed by a pander of pornographers, which was beside a lech of dirty old men with protruding obscenities in their nether regions.”
She looked at Maureen, “you get what I’m sayin’ heah?”
“Uh, I think so,” said Maureen. “Oh my gawd.”
“Well dere wuz dis guy, I mean, this rogue. Well his posterior wuz seized so tightly in his raven cow-hide breeches that I virtually oozed solvent all over my lips and down my chin.”
“Oh my gawd.” said Maureen. “Is dat good?”
“Oh yeah it is!” said Sylvia, “After a quick hello, we wuz like a lubricity of nymphomaniacs, a rut of satyrs, a concatenation of orgiasts!”
“Huh?”
“We wuz doin’ it like rabbits all over de place!”
“Oh my gawd!”
“Yeah, it wuz wonderful.”
They both looked dreamily off into the distance.
“An’ I’ll tell ya somethin’,” said Sylvia almost forgetting herself, “I don’t think I’ll be able to perambulate the circumference of my environs or anyplace else for a coupla days.”
“Well,” said Maureen, “not unless you use lots of hairspray.”








I had a time figuring out what accent and dialect you were going for. At "hoid" I guessed New Jersey. Am I right?
ReplyDeleteJohn, I mention Brooklyn in the first sentence. :)
ReplyDeleteOh my gawd!! This was too cute!!
ReplyDeleteLoved it. Both clever and funny. I particularly liked "a concatenation of orgiasts” (though I did have to look up "concatenation"... and that's my new word of the day!)
ReplyDeleteRachel, this is absolutely hilarious! I am cracking up. It does sound like Maureen may have grown up in Georgia, what with the "Gawd", and so often. :) Fun, fun, fun!
ReplyDeleteThank you Carrie, Rol and Deanna.
ReplyDeleteGlad you liked it Carrie.
Rol, I had my thesaurus out big time while writing this one.
Deanna, New Yawkers say "gawd" too. Wish we had the same nice weather as in Georgia though. We're getting slammed up here this year. We've already 123 inches. Gawd.
Jeez rachel, 'Ow come Sylvia don't talk proper like wot we do over 'ere? all them fancy words an' long sentences...
ReplyDeleteLoved it :D
LOL love your comment Steve! When I first started college, I kind of tawked like that. But after being repeatedly embarrassed by my classmates for my accent, I stopped doing it. Though I can still do a mean Fran Dresher impersonation.
ReplyDeleteLoved it! I'm not that familiar with New York accents, but once I'd tuned myself in I listened to the conversation in all its glory. Reminds me that I ought to try writing a story in my local dialect sometime.
ReplyDelete123 inches? Gawd! :) I knew it'd been pretty bad up there, but never thought about the total amount. I wonder how much we've had, there've been more than our fair share this year, (in sw VA), but I guess about anybody in the US could say that this year! Still, I'm glad I don't live in NY right now!
ReplyDeletelOL, this was cute..I had to read slowly...but I was amused. :)
ReplyDeleteThank you Sam and Gwen and yes, Deanna, but to be honest we've almost hit 200 inches a couple of times. It's just really early in the season to have this much snow. Time to put in my snowshoes and go get the mail...not kidding either. :)
ReplyDeleteThat would definitely be fun to read, Sam.
This took forever to write, Gwen. This isn't really my local accent, but I grew up with folks who spoke like this. I think my local accent might be a bit more difficult than this, since I'd have to just keep saying how we all speak have nasal accents and flatten our "a's."
I love reading stories with dialect dialogue, and I usually end up reading them out loud to truly appreciate them. Really clever way to tell a story.
ReplyDeleteI have to say that I struggled almost as much with the accent than the big words, but it's a fun story, very amusing!
ReplyDeleteThank you Icy and Mari. If you think this was tough, try reading Zora Neale Hurston. You pretty much have to read her out loud to understand some of the dialects. But there is a poetry to them, that's mesmerizing. Not so much here, but these characters were fun to write.
ReplyDeleteHa! I loved it! Brilliantly executed dialogue.
ReplyDeleteI gots ta agree wid Maureen. Oh my gawd! Is dat good? Yeah, toots, it's good. Wadda chuckler.
ReplyDeleteThank you Danielle and Mike. Toots. I like that.
ReplyDeleteReturning for the recording. I make no excuses for missing the Brooklyn. I do not pass Go. I collect no dollars.
ReplyDeleteYou picked one of the harder things to record for a first time (if I read your tweets correctly and you are new to this). Dialogue, especially dialogue not mitigated by narration, demands rapport and switching voices quickly. Much easier to do one voice in a first person story or a straight third person narrator. Like in the text, I think you did a good job differentiating the two. In the audio, making one more obviously nasal helped separate her further.
There were a few points when the character voice bled into narration (see 0:44-0:46). That sort of thing clears up with experience. If you have extra time after recording, listening back for those and doing additional takes is good exercise. I'm miserable about such editing. Easily to edit a manuscript than re-record something. I think it's a growing pain. But in terms of tonal bleeding, it's something to keep your ear out for in future recordings. I hope you do keep doing them. You take your writing very seriously and it can only help add appreciation for the textual tools. You also have a nice voice, even if it sometimes feigns Brooklyn salon-chat.
Sylvia reminds me of a character in the movie Saturday Night Fever with Travolta. Travolta's love interest was a Brooklyn girl named Stephanie, who detested her Brooklyn roots because she felt most who lived their were uneducated brutes. Because she took a couple of college courses, she had the audacity to profess her intellect onto the Travolta character who also wouldn't no the difference anyway because all he cared about was looking good on the dance floor. Anyway, she sounded like a moron.
ReplyDeleteGreat characters. and I thought it was a splendid read.
Thank you Lionel! I flubbed my read a couple of times, but I'm not a pro at editing, so I just kept going.
ReplyDeleteThis was great. I laughed out loud. Kudos for taking on the dialect. Loved these two characters.
ReplyDeleteThanks G.P. it was definitely a challenge. Glad it made you laugh.
ReplyDelete