Thursday, January 20, 2011

A Good Day

Mona hadn’t bathed in two weeks, and had only reluctantly forsaken the constant comfort of her well-worn pajamas for her less assuring jeans and t-shirt. Getting dressed was a hateful necessity reserved only for buying groceries or going to funerals. Her neighbors were nosy and she wasn’t in the mood to get into another screaming match with them about her going outside half-dressed, so she’d put on her jeans to appease them.

Just the same they were stiff with body odor and stains, which Mona considered a personal thumb on the nose to anyone who cared. Besides, she didn’t have anything else to wear. Her other clothes weren’t safe anymore and had been stored outside in the garage, where the vermin could have their way with them.

Mona’s hair hung in long impossible knots so snarled that she’d broken combs in two in her attempts to fix it Now the remnants of those broken combs decorated her hair with plastic rainbow teeth.

Because of the prying eyes of her neighbors, she’d become accustomed to living in dimly lit rooms. Now her vision was restricted to what little of the world she could see through the permanently narrowed slits, which had once housed luminous, hopeful eyes.

The morning sun infested the walls with angry fingers summoning Mona to her bed. Now was the time for sleep, when the safety of darkness succumbed to all the things she sought seclusion from and the only safe place was beneath her moth-eaten blanket until darkness returned, enveloping. Though in truth, nothing could protect her from the onslaught of perniciously happy people whose aim in life seemed to be making her see how truly miserable her life was.

The phone rang. It was already beginning.

“Hello.”

“Hi there, my name’s Bob from the Mayflower Life
Insurance Company.”

“Go away Bob…”

“Ma’am, if you’ll just give me one minute…”

“Razor, I think I’ll use a razor.”

“Hello?”

“Looks like it’s gonna to be harder this time, gonna have to cut through scar tissue to do the job right.”

“Uh, I’m sure you wonder what will happen to your family in case something happened to you...”

“I’ll have to soak the skin really good to soften it before I start cutting. Ever slit your wrists, Bob? I’m an expert. I’d love to show you how it’s done properly…”

Click.

Mona smiled as she reached for the tattered notebook on her nightstand table. She put a check on the blank page.

One.

Soon this page would be full of checks just like all the other pages of all the other notebooks that towered up from the floor like dozens of wobbly columns.

She went back to sleep, but as always her rest was interrupted by someone knocking at her door. Mona opened it only enough to admit a shadow and nothing more.

“Go away.”

“Hi, my name is Crystal, and I have an offer you won’t believe...”

“Crystal, the only thing you could offer me is your head on a spike.”

Mona smiled as she watched the woman run away.

Two.

It was going to be a good day.

23 comments:

  1. Poor Mona...poster child for Prozac maybe. Your descriptions are amazing. The second paragraph made me want to take a long hot bath, and do laundry. REally well written.

    ReplyDelete
  2. She may have a few issues, but I love Mona's sense of humor with all the salespeople. A girl's gotta have some fun, right? :)

    You just have a gift for description. I was right there in that scary place with her. I hope she gets some help.

    Well done as always.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you G.P and Gracie, Mona is an old character who I revisit from time-to-time. I think she's my alter ego (except for the no bathing, bad hair thing). I mean who wouldn't want to tell these types of service people where to go on occasion?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm a bit like this person sometimes, especially with door to door and on the phone salespeople - haha - I love this story. This made me laugh - 'The phone rang. It was already beginning.'

    ReplyDelete
  5. There is a reason we get along so well Gabrielle. hehe I wrote this story on a day when I wasn't feeling well and I kept getting these types of calls. Finally after about the 20th call, I gave up on sleeping and started writing. Revenge is sweet. So is that "do not call list."

    ReplyDelete
  6. I will join you all in that bath. Well, not in that bath. I'll bathe simultaneously, but in the Men's Room.

    Discounting the Do Not Call List can put me in such a mood.

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOL John, thank you for the comment and for bathing too, of course

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mona has a dark sense of humour. Nice. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. "...decorated her hair with plastic rainbow teeth." Outstanding description Rachel, as always. As others have said, you have a gift for imagery, and especially here. I just took a shower an hour ago and now I feel like I need another one. :)
    Fantastic work!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you Laurita and Deanna. Glad you like Mona's sense of humor. I wasn't sure if she was over-the-top or not.

    Deanna, thank you for letting me know about that line. I wasn't sure if it worked or not. I worked and reworked that until I got it where it is now. So I'll leave it alone now.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I see Mona as a character that elicits sympathy and empathy at the same time, and boy, she sure knows how to take care of those cold-callers.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yikes...I want to take a shower now, too. Nice imagery, especially of the broken combs in her hair and the piles of notebooks.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow...the verification word was "Merverma". Appropriate. And I think I'll write it down as a possible character name, too. :) Mona would like it, I think.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Fine characterization there, Rachel. Can't help but like Mona, despite what a mess she is. She just rips attitude. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great description and characterization. I love her retorts to the salespeople. I'll have to remember to use some of them upon occasion when they don't take "Not interested" as an answer.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank you so much for the comments, Steve, Maria, Mike and Seleste. I'm glad you liked Mona. I may revisit her again sometime. Seleste, I take no responsibility if you use Mona's tactics on cold callers. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Beautifully written as always Rachel. You have a way of drawing the reader in and holding on to them. And the sarcasm is the icing on the cake.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thank you Danielle. Well if you knew me, you'd know that sarcasm comes naturally to me.

    ReplyDelete
  19. The simple "Go away, Bob" line was classic and captured it all for me. Mona is a sad character but she is strong and is a fighter. Loved how you put some humor into it. Keep at it. Very interesting character.

    ReplyDelete
  20. What an excellent way of dealing with marketing & sales people. Mona is my heroine! I could read a whole book of her adventures.

    ReplyDelete
  21. “Crystal, the only thing you could offer me is your head on a spike.”

    I shall remember that one next time someone comes knocking at my door!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thank you for the comments Rol and Icy...you both scare me, but in a good way. Then again, I suppose I scare myself since I wrote this to begin with. What's even more frightening, is that I used to be a telemarketer. You'd think I'd have some sympathy.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Poor Mona. I guess that's one way to deal with telemarketers... Darkly humorous.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...