Thursday, December 9, 2010

The Secret Language of Horses


This is how it feels, she said in words that only she understood, while standing between the promise of a cadmium sunny day and the oblivion of shady breezes. This is how it feels to be alleviated from the snarls and whines of the old man’s blazing rationale. He’d lay traps for her in hopes that she’d bend over and reveal the grassy moistness of unplowed fields. She knew his games and refused to budge as he dropped objects on the floor in a maelstrom of geriatric angst.
His son had hired her as a companion and cook to care for the needs of his ailing father. It had seemed like an easy gig at the time, but it didn’t take long for the old man to reveal his true nature. But she’d found ways to cope. When she wasn’t avoiding his constant barrage of requests to bend over him so that her breasts were close enough to clasp, she prepared nutritious meals, ladled with saliva.


Revenge was not only sweet, but it slurped.


Learning to put up with him and make-do in order to keep the free room and board that was part of her pay, meant more to her than the pocketful of cash she was paid on a monthly basis. The room wasn’t fancy, but it was hers and thankfully it rested on the top of a steep staircase, which the old man was unable to climb. She loved to walk around naked on the landing knowing he was below slithering along like a slug, leaving trails of decay.


“Hush-hush,” she murmured, in her own secret language in the silence of her room. These words were hers alone. She’d been making them up since childhood. No one must know what she said or that she and the old man existed on the fringe of the tangibly awful. She’d say it in her words, but no one else’s. This is how she remained sane. This is how she was able to pretend that everything was fine and that the horses that galloped on the wallpaper of her room, were free. Sometimes at night she could hear their hoof beats and snorts of exhaustion. She would speak to them and they would gentle until morning light sent them galloping away once again.


When she had to take him out, she’d roll him around in his wheelchair pretending that all was well. Now she could end her ruse because he had disappeared one afternoon when she’d not quite so accidentally left the backdoor open, and they’d found him half-dead and clinging to an old oak tree. It didn’t take long for eternity to finish what her forgetfulness had begun and he had been assigned to a place beside family pets, critters and dead relatives in the family plot.


“Strong enough to kill a horse,” she whispered in her secret, beautiful words. “Strong enough to kill the whole world if I want to,” she said when the son came to her some days later and said that he loved her.


He thought she was being flirtatious as she slowly formed each syllable of each mysterious word she spoke.


“Perhaps someday you’ll teach me your language,” he coaxed drawing her to him, “My father swore that he almost understood you at times.”


“Is that so, she said, finally in English. “No one understands me, but horses.”

20 comments:

  1. You reach for unusual words or unthought-of phrases often in the literary way, often to very tingly effects. Some of my favorites are in here. Never heard a "cadmium sunny day" described before. You provide content over which you lay the style, but I like your style too, Rachel.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you John. Wordplay has always been a weakness of mine. Sometimes I need to pulled back and bit, and sometimes I wonder if I push myself enough. I'm not sure about this story yet, but it's still pretty fresh. Also, I had no idea how big the type was on this. Ironically it's called horsey when it's this big.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like how you play with uncommon word combinations. It's a poetry trick that works well in this presentation. I love how you tied in the horses, which you me are a very strong symbol, so strong I rarely use them and usually to signify catastrophic loss. You've a gift Rachel. Thanks for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Carrie. That's probably the best compliment I've received in a long, long time. I love poetic prose and word play. I can't do it on my job or they'd kill. So I really let loose each week with #fridayflash.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love it. Great character and the setting with the old man is excellent. The uncommon word combinations/ word play etc, work very well. It creates the character and the atmosphere. It's certainly the kind of style that I like.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I too must comment on the poetic prose, the word weaving is wonderful, and the scenario totally believable. I love the picture too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for the comments Anneke and Steve. I wasn't sure about this story, so it's good to get some positive feedback on it. Much appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Besides the imagery (big fan of "ladled with saliva"), what I enjoy is that you have already set up a backstory here. What's up with the relationships here? I want to know more. Loved the horses on the wallpaper also.

    Julio

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you Julio. I liked that line too. I smiled when I wrote that. I such a wicked sense of humor at times.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think this is probably my favourite of yours so far. I can't put my finger on why...it just seems to take all of these amazing elements and tie them neatly into a single package. It plays with the fluidity of language in such a wonderful way.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you Icy. I have no idea what to think about this one yet. It's still too fresh. I just let myself go a bit and had no idea where the story was going. Sometimes I kind of mentally sketch things out, but this time I didn't. Maybe I should do that more often.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think this is terrific, the imagery is stunning, the allusions terrific.

    reveal the grassy moistness of unplowed fields

    slithering along like a slug, leaving trails of decay

    they would gentle until morning light sent them galloping away once again

    You write beautifully.
    ~jon

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Rachel - some fantastic writing in here. Very engaging and interesting, particularly your characters, and the situation is intriguing. I found it a little tricky to piece some of the parts together - it felt a little like you were holding back on the 'what's happening' to the point of abstraction, and the horses arrived fairly late on, so I found that a little hard to reconcile with the earlier sections. But whatever, you built a great mood and I was entertained.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Rachel, I think you know, but I'll say it again - I Love the way you weave words together. As others have said, you show us things never seen before, and that's what makes your stories so refreshing.

    I also like that line: "slithering along like a slug, leaving trails of decay." No better way of showing us his character. Thank you so much for sharing the beauty of your art!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lush and beautiful and truly poetic. This is one of my favorites of yours. Not just the gorgeous language, but her unassailable sense of freedom within.

    Absolutely splendid.

    ReplyDelete
  16. All have said it better: you write beautifully. Sometimes, and this story is a fine example, you range beyond beautiful and into the delicately wondrous, almost to the miraculous.

    "the promise of a cadmium sunny day and the oblivion of shady breezes." - this hooked me immediately. Poetic prose - my very favorite form of expression (as you can see by my story "Syzygy")

    "...wordplay has always been a weakness of mine." Not so, Rachel. It is surely your strength. That and your deliciously wicked sense of humor. As I have noted before, your work is often masterly.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Yet another wonderful tale from your lovely mind Rach.

    This girl seems to float around wherever the wind happens to carry her. She'd a gentle, although sometimes wicked, creature.

    I found myself wondering just what might be inside her pretty, I say pretty because I imagine she's no doubt divine to gaze upon, little head.

    After all the old man wasn't drooling for nothing you know. Unless he was hard up for any woman to bother with his pervy ol' self. Either way she was cute nonetheless.

    And it seems she found herself a new life after the father had final made the graveyard his resting place. She might even be happy with the son... iffen he's not secretly a perv in his own right, but surely time'll tell.

    ReplyDelete
  18. "Pervy ol' self," love it James, and thank you for the thoughtful comment on my story. I never thought about if she was pretty or not, but you do make some good points there about why she probably is.

    ReplyDelete
  19. A dangerous woman this, and you draw us into her world and language - using language that leaves me longing for more.

    "She would speak to them and they would gentle until morning light sent them galloping away once again." I love this, but there are many sentences to love here.

    There's a quietness to this character - and a terrible strength. I would be happy to read a further exploration of her (although, part of her draw is mystery).

    Really well done.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I like the mixture of complexity and simplicity, human and natural elements in this peice. So much is said, but so much still remains a mystery. The woman is mysterious, dark and sharp. The use of nature to describe people(ex. slugs pace)fits perfectly.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...