
Hannah's hands shook as she read the newspaper. Bert Cummings was dead. She read and reread the obituary trying to find some solace in the lines, but soon closed her eyes too upset to read anymore. There wasn't a picture of him and no mention of survivors. She wondered if was there anyone who cared that he was gone as images of him—well at least her version of him— dying alone flooded her consciousness.
She scanned the page for something to distract her; to find another bit of news and another name.
Ophelia Maltese. At least this one had a face and hopefully, had lived a good, long life. She had left behind children and grandchildren, so perhaps happiness had been part of her daily landscape. Or perhaps her children and grandchildren had been ungrateful and never visited or she had been abusive and neglectful and pushed them all away.
What were her dreams? Had she been lucky enough to achieve some of them or had she been forced to let them go and settle for a diet of soulless starvation.
Another paragraph, another name, another face.
Maxwell Porter killed in a car accident. He was only seventeen.
Such waste, she thought, such terrible waste. Such promise lost.
What about his parents? Did they have other children or were all their hopes placed solely upon their now deceased child?
Unable to contain the weight of what she was reading Hannah let the newspaper drop from her hands.
It all ends here, she thought. A whole life contained in a tiny paragraph announcing that you are gone, whom you've left behind, how you've died and when those who wished to mourn you, if there were any, could come to say goodbye. A whole life ignored, even now, since most people didn’t take the time to read obituaries.
Hannah sighed while reaching for the cup of coffee she'd allowed to grow cold. Its bitter chill didn't upset her. No warmth to be had today, she thought while taking a sip and looking at the lists of names and faces.
The headlines would wait until later. It was the dead who woke her every morning, and forced her to rub the sleep from her eyes. Then she would walk down the stairs and find them, waiting. Every day there was a new set of introductions and farewells. Every day the realization that someday she would join them, and all this before dressing, eating or running to catch the bus.
Hannah was captivated by them and their constant endless march. There hadn’t been a time when this wasn’t part of her normal routine as the memory of her younger self sitting on her grandmother’s lap while she did the very same thing reflected back from her now empty coffee cup.
Grandma always said that this may have been the only time that some of these people ever got their name in the newspaper or received a kindness or even a flower. Hannah scanned her apartment saddened by the graveness of the room before returning to read and then rush out the door to face the bitter slap of morning air.
It wasn't until she found herself ensconced behind the same desk, in the same office that had become her little corner of obscurity for almost twenty years, that it became too much. Her life meant nothing to anyone except her. She, like so many others, was an easily replaceable thing. It would take no time for someone else to fill up the space she occupied consuming everything but her shadow. That she would take with her until even it dispersed into nothingness.
Hannah heard her heart beating and began to imagine what it would be like when she joined the list of names and dates of death. To comfort herself, she silently repeated some of the names of the morning dead into the air, Victor Newbury, Alice Randall, Stephanie Cress. They were real people, not abstract realities and now they were gone. She wondered if someday someone would see her name and wonder about her life, her dreams or only see her as a nameless face in an ongoing crowd.
She returned to the security of work until the time came to leave for the day. She knew that nothing awaited her at home but the certainty of sleep, and the knowledge that the morning paper would come. Even after she'd moved or died or simply faded out of sight, there would be an endless parade of names eternally marching across her doorstep on their way to oblivion.
On the way home she stopped at a florist shop and bought herself a bouquet of roses.
It didn’t matter what they cost, she told herself, as the clerk took her credit card. I want my flowers now when I can see them. She held the bouquet in her arms like a child and inhaled their scent as the petals brushed against her cheek. It felt good. This moment felt good. There was hope in it and it lingered with her even after she returned to the heat of the late summer day and the inevitability that another list of names was currently being filled and would await her tomorrow.







Was curious about the dead "the dead who woke her every morning." Thought you might go the typical ghost route, and appreciated you going a more thoughtful route instead. Melancholy and depression are typical, but distinct here thanks to your setup.
ReplyDeleteTypo in first sentence: "Hannah hands" for "Hannah's hands." Also in that paragraph, "There wasn't a picture of him and no mention survivors" Maybe "no mention of survivors?" Hope these don't seem antagonistic - I never catch all my own errors and look out for those of writers I like out of sympathy.
Thank you John and no, not antagonistic at all. I asked if someone would beta read this, and no one volunteered. I'm awful at spotting mistakes in my work and count on others to help me out.
ReplyDeleteGlad you liked the story. Off to fix the mistakes.
Life does seem that way, each of us but a blur that goes by without leaving a mark. Perhaps that's why we write.
ReplyDeleteYou know Laura, maybe it is. I hadn't thought of it that way. Thank you for the insight and the comment.
ReplyDeleteRachel, this, coupled with the knowledge of what you've been through lately, brought a tear. Very beautifully written.
ReplyDeleteThank you Deanna. What you wrote means so much to me. Thank you for always sending me those notes of concern for all these months. You have no idea how much that meant to me.
ReplyDeletePortrays a dark trudge of a life that comes to want for more, nicely (and darkly) done.
ReplyDeleteI love the expression "fill up the space she occupied consuming everything but her shadow"
Thank you for the comment Steven. I have a family member who likes to read obits. I never understand why, but I think in her case it's an affirmation that she's alive while also honoring the dead.
ReplyDeleteDeath is inevitable. It's what we do while we're here that matters. This was very thought provoking. I loved the detail of her saying the names aloud. Really, really enjoyed this.
ReplyDeleteI think I'm going to write my own obit, and just make stuff up.
Funny, as I was reading this I thought about ah, that's why we write. Anything to leave a mark, hoping for an extra paragraph on the obit page.
ReplyDeleteCourse, now you have me wondering the motivation of funeral crashers, and what they are honoring or what they are keeping at bay.
Such a melancholic tone that yearns for the warmth of relationship; even the dead need to know they were loved and wanted. Such a powerful reminder to value the people who surround us.
ReplyDeleteAdam B @revhappiness
Thank you for the comments, Laurita, Pegjet and Adam. I'm glad you enjoyed this piece. Even though it's sad, I'm glad to see that so many also have noted how it motivates them or makes them think. That is always a great thing to hear.
ReplyDeleteFuneral crashers! Thanks for the idea, Peg. Might be a story there. Rachel, this is another near-master work, imo. Real, human, connecting to unavoidable angst in nearly everybody. Universal. You have the sensibilities of a true story teller. Thanks for this piece of work.
ReplyDeleteThank you Mike. I love writing character-driving stories. It's a challenge to try to create someone from the inside out and hopefully make them seem authentic for whatever part they're playing.
ReplyDeleteWow, talk about being hung up on death! This poor lady dwells upon it always, eating it, dreaming it, and breathing it all in daily. She is caught up in a spiders web of sorrows.
ReplyDeleteI felt for her sad plight. But at the same time I must admit I dwell therein somewhat myself. One of the websites I view more than once a week is lifeinlegacy.com. I guess to some it might be morbid, but I have been going there for years. I read all about these peoples lives and, of course, their deaths, too.
Hopefully there is life enough to be lived before Grim Jim has the final say in this short maze of time. It is but a star shining its last twinkle.
jkb
Thank you for the heartfelt review and comment James. I hadn't heard of that website or the term "Grim Jim." Thank you for sharing that.
ReplyDeleteVery well written. I loved the sense of melancholy you evoked through your MC. It made me think too, for which I thank you.
ReplyDeletei read the obituaries everyday. okay i read the paper from front to back but i always read the obituaries looking for something other than he/she lived a good life etc. always looking for that honest one. the one that says 'damn, life was hard but there were good moments too'
ReplyDeleteLovely, Rachel. My dad used to read the obits on Sundays. I think as I get older, I understand that more.
ReplyDeleteAnd that idea of creating art to speak for our lives is true, whether we realize it or not.
Really enjoyed this one, and your writing is beautiful.
Sam, Darrin and Gracie, thank you for your comments. I really like this discussion about creating art to leave a legacy of ourselves behind, and writing is such an intimate way of revealing ourselves to the world.
ReplyDeleteI always read the obits first in the paper. Far from making me feel depressed or a step closer to my own, it reassures me that life goes on for me, for the moment at least, and reminds me to get on and do. Anything. Because a lot of obits remind me that some people have led truely amazing lives. Others remind me how lucky I am. I really liked the tone of this story and loved the focus on the small, fleeting pleasure of the roses. Nice touch.
ReplyDeleteIts got my mind ticking - great work. I do unintentionally think similarly to this - if a young person or teenage dies, I automatically think, was he an only child? Dont know why.
ReplyDeleteNice piece :)
Thank you flyingscribbler and brainhaze thank you for the comments. Glad my writing got you thinking, that's the best compliment there is.
ReplyDeleteA very provocative piece in that it makes you think about something you normally may not. There was definitely a melancholy/fatalistic feel about it, but I liked the way she remembered the dead and said their names.
ReplyDeleteJust this weekend in Australia we have had a massive amount of car crashes as people made their way back from holidays to begin school today. Many will never go back.
Thank you for sharing this story.
My flash fiction blog
Thank you for the comment, L'Aussie. I always think that too whenever there are a lot of car accidents or natural disasters. I guess being confronted with mortality makes us think about our own.
ReplyDeleteWhat a somber take on the fact we need to live life while we can. Great job. So thought-provoking and moving.
ReplyDeleteThank you Melissa. Yes it is far too easy to forget that life is short and get caught up spending too much time on worrying. I swear I get more insights to my writing than I ever imagine.
ReplyDeleteI used to read the obits all the time, until my dad died. Then for some reason I stopped.
ReplyDeleteI do once in a while still, but not as often as I used to, and I always wonder about those people and their lives, who they were, what their lives were like, what things they may have done, etc.
A beautiful read even if it has undertones of melancholy, it leaves you thinking and leaves you feeling. That is a good thing.
Thank you for the insightful comment A.S. I once applied for a job writing obits. Unfortunately I didn't get it because the money was excellent and everybody and their brother must have applied. Just the same I never really spent much time reading them.
ReplyDeleteBleak, Rachel, but oh so true. A story like this has the potential to end up trite, but you made it original and enjoyable. Excellent job, as usual. The only suggestion I have is to change "One" in the penultimate paragraph to "On"--just a minor typo that was easy to miss.
ReplyDeleteOff to read the next one now. Will comment on that in just a bit. :)
Thank you Travis...and thank you for the head's up on the typo. Off to fix it.
ReplyDelete