Friday, July 16, 2010

Tuesday

Going postal would have been easy, too easy on this day so very far away from Eden and its promised perfection. A crow circled overhead while she journeyed past a gravesite where a flowered covered mound housed the remains of a stranger whose named she’d missed on the news. The Spartan landscape had been something grander in its heyday, now it harvested junkyards that rose and collapsed like the swollen bellies of starving children.

She spit out her gum and silently remarked how it resembled a cloud caught in the mud. The horn of a nearby ferry summoned her back from odd thoughts about rodeos and runners and the sound that raindrops made on her grandmother’s tin roof. She would be late for work again. She would hear her boss call her a “stupid junky girl” and threaten to fire her after first taking away her awful puce-colored uniform and the joy of serving sweet potato fries to sweaty old men who thought it charming to demand free cups of coffee, while copping cheap feels. They didn’t know that she imagined each of them dead with their severed heads on spikes that she—their murderer—held high as she danced in the shadow of the Bastille.

Returning once again to herself, she surveyed the restaurant and its attempt to appear tropical and far away from its own bleak reality. The owner’s wife had decorated it with raffia placemats, photographs of travel posters and plastic hula dancers that lined the counter and swayed in unison to the coughs, belches and sighs of unsatisfied staff and customers.

This was how she spent her day; disappearing from the ticky-tack ticking of miseries that languished like cats in rainy day doorways waiting for a glimpse of profundity. Mundane conversations drifted in and out of her consciousness like stark sea waters impinging on the arsenal of daydreams she valiantly conjured in an attempt to escape. This was not how this day was supposed to have played out. It didn’t matter that every day played out in the same way beginning and ending with anti-bacterial soap, wallpaper peonies that she and her mother had selected when they’d decorated her room or the smell of coffee and grease that penetrated the rooms with age.

“I am one year older today,” she said looking at her reflection in the cracked mirror of the employee washroom. “I am one year closer to oblivion and eternity.” She searched her knapsack and found her iPod. It would be a long walk home and she would need the comfort of Lead Belly and Johnny Cash singing about prisoners and prisons to remind her that to the rest of the world it was just another day.

26 comments:

  1. Gorgeous story as usual Rachel. I love how bittersweet this is, and your metaphors always astound me. I especially like "harvested junkyards that rose and collapsed like the swollen bellies of starving children." Such a vivid image!
    Thanks for entering the contest!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice word slinging! Love the way you captured so much in so few words. And it's real. Great characterization. (I have days when the idea of dancing around with a head on pike turns me on too.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. God, I've had a birthday or two like that.

    Gorgeous, lush writing for a stark scene. Like Wulfie said, all too real.

    Magnificent writing and an excellent story. Good luck in the contest!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fantastic description and melodious wording! Awesome...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for the comments everyone, and thank you Deanna for having the contest.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You paint the drudgery of this girl's life very clearly, Rachel.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful descriptions Rachel, and inspiring. You put us all there with the girl, and for a moment I felt myself walking in her shoes.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like that amid all that waiting for profundity she notices the little beautiful or incongruent things. The gum,the hula dancers, the wallpaper.... If she just holds on to the beauty...maybe she'll make it out of there before she puts anybody's head on a pike.
    This was gorgeous Rachel.
    My characters don't use words like profundity.....it's so nice to come to your place to immerse myself in ones who do.

    I read it while listening to that rain on the tin roof...

    Karen :0)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very beautiful. It is easy to forget how much richer someone's life is inside their heads. It makes the people around you so much more interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great descriptive visualisations as usual - makes you really feel part of the story - poor girl, hope she atleast gets a card :(

    ReplyDelete
  11. This sounds so much like one of my friends, it's incredible. She texts me about killing her customers in interesting ways. :) Great job, as usual.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great story. Beautiful in such a melancholy way. It really lingers with you.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Cold comfort she's choosing with her music, but it fits with the day she's had and the life she's living.

    The descriptions in this are haunting. Gorgeous language.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you for all the wonderful comments and feedback everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your word craft is amazing, Rachel. Really makes me feel for the woman.
    ~jon

    ReplyDelete
  16. I could swear I'd commented on this...

    I wanted to poke her a little at the end. One year closer to eternity? No, my dear. You're already wrapped up thickly in that.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thank you for the comments, Jon and John. I think most people forget that we're wrapped up in eternity. Good point.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi, Rachel,

    I found a computer, so I can comment. :)

    As I said on Twitter, I like the story. The prose flows well, the imagery is evocative, you have some great similes, and it's quite emotional--sad, but true to life.

    Since you specifically asked for feedback, I assume you want to know more than just what's good about it though, and I do have just a couple nitpicks for you:

    1. The second sentence was a little difficult; I found myself stumbling over a number of clauses strung together in a single sentence that might better be cut into two.

    2. The description of the uniform as "puce-colored" didn't work for me. Like "red-colored" or "blue-colored", it just sounds a little off. "Puce" alone should suffice.

    Minor details, but sometimes that's the difference between a merely good story and a great one. This one's definitely good, and I like forward to reading your next one.

    Cheers,
    Travis

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thank you Travis, and thank you for the feedback. I'll look this over with your suggestions once I'd have some distance from the material and whatever changes are necessary.

    ReplyDelete
  20. "Mundane conversations ebbed in and out of her consciousness" - as well they should ;-)

    I could feel her anger and her ...gah, what's the word here? Something between desolation and depression! Nice work.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Now that I've looked over my own comment having some distance from the material, I can see that I should have said "look forward" not "like forward". Oy. Anywho...onward and upward. I just wanted to let you know, I'm totally open to any critiques you have on any of my #fridayflash. I think we truly grow as writers when we accept both the good and the bad that others have to say. I'd rather have constructive criticism than just a pat on the back--unless the story's just fine the way it is, of course, and there are a lot of 'em out there each week that don't need help. I'm just not sure mine are at that level yet. Maybe I'll do a special #fridayflash blog soliciting critiques and see what other people think.

    Hmm...er, thanks for letting me ramble on your website. :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Just a quick note to Rachel’s readers - there's less than 15 hours left to vote in the contest. Have you cast your vote?
    We'll be partying at The Other Side of Deanna on Monday. I hope everyone can stop in!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Wow. Pretty dark. I don't think I'd like to go to any birthday parties with her...

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hi Rachel. We're having a party today - hope you and your readers can stop in: http://theothersideofdeanna.wordpress.com/2010/08/16/party-time/
    Thanks so much for entering the contest!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Another great write Rachel. The way you tell stories makes me feel like I'm looking through the characters eyes... very captivating.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...